• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 26 weeks ago

I was on Half Dome in 2007 when Nohara fell to his death. It was a similar case with chaos on the cables - an absolute log jam of people, with several panicked tourists frozen in fear and plugging up the route. I am shamed that I did not take a stronger position then.

It was and continues to be absolutely negligent on the Park Service's part to not implement a quota system on the trail. There were over 400 people on the trail that day, with one group of over 150 people - many who had never hiked a difficult trail.

I understand and am completely in agreement with the policy of "Climb at your own Risk" for climbers in Yosemite - but the Half Dome Trail is not this type of a climb. The sheer numbers lead to the false assumption that if there are so many people here and the Park allows it - "it must be safe".

The Mt. Whitney trail is tightly controlled, the quotas strictly enforced, and the fine is large. No one really likes it - but everyone accepts it. Shasta, Rainier, and other large peaks have experienced and capable climbing rangers. Half Dome has Nothing! It is a ridiculous copout to say that the numbers cannot be controlled.

The National Park Service needs to take responsibility for what happens on Half Dome. When a climber falls and dies on one of the Yosemite walls - it is truly his or her responsibility. When a tourist slips and falls off the cables - it is the negligence and responsibility of the Park Service.

If the Cables were not available, climbers would not do this route without ropes and protection. Both the granite and the cables are slick and polished, the route is at the limit of friction for climbing shoes. This is not a novice route. Thanks to the poster for the note about climbing shoes, I head up on Thursday and will be using a harness and slings - may even take the chalk bag.

Park Service, either take responsibility for this route, implement some controls, add a climbing ranger for the peak periods - or Take down the Cables.

• Suicide? Murder? What Secrets Lie in that Grave on the Natchez Trace?   5 years 27 weeks ago

I agree with the family of Meriwether Lewis, he deserves a Christian burial and the Park should allow his remains to be exhumed to be examined. The decision should be left to the descendants of Meriwether Lewis.
    I have been praying fervently for one year that the family would continue pushing for a Christian burial. I was excited to see the website asking for people to write letters to allow him to be exhumed. It would also settle the dispute of whether he was murdered or commited suicide. I , for one , think that he was murdered.
    I will continue praying that the family gets their wish . He deserves to be treated better than this , people !
    IT's up to the family and what they say , goes !

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I am planning to climb Half-Dome on June 26th, and you can BET I will be there with a harness and safety equipment to make the climb. I read a discussion where -- incredibly -- those posting were actually denigrating the need for safety equipment. Perhaps this latest fatal accident will discourage the unprepared from making the attempt, and those who do prepare themselves to take those extra steps that will protect their own lives, AS WELL AS THE LIVES OF THOSE BELOW THEM. It is perhaps a miracle that any one of the fatal slip and falls at HD did not involve a cascade where a dozen people lose their lives. It can happen -- as it did at Mt. Hood a few years ago -- and it may well happen at HD someday. I would not object if the NPS instituted a permit policy, as is required to climb Mt. Whitney, or if they limited access to the cables to those with a climbing harness and safety equipment.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

thank you that was the most constructive advise ive seen and i will take all of it to heart

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I was there when this tragedy happened and everyone was attempting to come down from the top. I witnessed the whole thing and was closest to him when he passed the base of the cables which is where I was standing looking up watching the tragedy unfold. What actually happened is very difficult to tell, but I do want to clarify that nobody was going up to the top at 3:40, everyone was attempting to come down due to the weather. Also, it was extremely cold and the rock was slippery with flowing streams of water and hail. Its very unfortunate that this occured, but from what I saw and experienced, this tragedy could have occured over dozen times that afternoon meaning I saw many people lose their foot and slip and catch themselves before falling to their own deaths including two of my friends that were directly below me as I ascended the cables. You can say all you want about not being prepared or exposing yourself even more to danger, but if you werent there and were not put into that situation, you really can judge anyone for whatever decisions they chose to do that day. We are all obviously different and think and react different under stressful situations. There are those that can keep their mind clear and think through the situation and there are those that do panic and but in the end nobody will really know how to react until its all said and done. In my case, I kept myself mentally strong and told myself I have a family that I NEED to return to as well as them wanting me back so I dug down deep within myself to make sure I made it down alive. I thank god and those who stayed around to help other to guide those in distress. Just my 2 pennies!!!

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

that is an ignorant comment the park should instill further rules such as, no climbing half dome when the weather is so bad that even if you have education and training, your endangering your own life and the lives of others.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I was there May 31 09. There were scattered T-storms and it did hail up on top of the dome. On the three days I was there it began raining around 1pm-4pm. My hiking boots with vibram sole were slipping off the steepest end of the cables. I must of slipped twice descending.

• Unusual Prehistoric Hunting Artifact Was a Lucky Find at Denali   5 years 27 weeks ago

I used to find lots of antler and bone projectile points and other tools at surface sites along the coast and waterways in northwestern Alaska. The warmer summers in the interior likely contribute to greater rates of decay.

• Tourist Traffic At Hawaiian National Parks Way Down This Year   5 years 27 weeks ago

There is no question that visitor numbers are markedly down in Hawaii. It takes awhile for the economic impacts of the mainland to affect Hawaii, because many people make their reservations several months out. However, once the recession reaches the state it tends to last longer then it does in most of the other states. Tourism is the primary economic engine here, and the national parks in the state are important drawing cards. I manage a small visitor accommodation property on Maui and have contacts with many others involved in the visitor service industry. We are actually doing o.k. so far, but many others are feeling the pinch. I have noticed that the traffic on the road to Haleakala is down considerably. For those who do come to Hawaii, there are lots of great bargains that can be had, and you won't feel crowded.

• Roped-Together Climbers Die in Fall On Mount McKinley in Denali National Park and Preserve   5 years 27 weeks ago

That is so sad!!

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I was there Friday also we also made sure to be up there early and were off the rock by 12:30 when clouds started forming. This was also our second time. I had my 10 year old with me and never would have gone up the cables iif there were rain clouds or wet rock. I also had a $10 rope and caribeener for my son. I think i'm wearing something myself next time for peace of mind, especially because of all the people's packs bumping into us on the way down. Thi s is such an amazing hike. You just need to start early and be safe.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

We've had interesting discussions about using harnesses during the peak season on a Yosemite message board. Some of the opinions are that it could be unethical because of the possibility that a falling harnessed climber could possibly drag other people off the cables if their ropes catch someone else on the way down.

I never really thought of it before I went, but shoes are important. I wore one pair of Vibram-soled backpacking boots for my entire trip a couple of years ago, including the HD ascent/descent. The granite between the cables has gotten progressively slicker over the years. Some of the indications are that the slick nature is a result of the more recent (exponential) use and that maybe 20 years ago it still had decent grip. A pair of real climbing shoes could be helpful. They only weigh about 1 lb for a pair, and you don't need ankle support for the cables.

As for those going outside the cables, I got the suspicion that most are idiots. Typically younger testosterone-filled men or teens.

• KHV Virus Implicated in Lake Mohave Carp Die Off   5 years 27 weeks ago

The common carp was introduced into America's waters starting in the early 1830s. That's a l-o-n-g time ago. Once a species has been here "long enough," we stop thinking of it as an import and think of it as a permanent part of the American scene. We eventually forget that the ring-necked pheasants in our parks were imported from Asia in the 1800s (by way of England, in many cases), that the rainbow trout in the streams of Great Smoky were originally transplanted from California, and that every single salmon caught by fishermen in Sleeping Bear Dunes National Park can be traced to non-native stock.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I did the hike on Monday (June 8th) -- well prepared, climbing carabiner/rope, left early to get off the top by 11:00 to advoid the weather. and was prepared to turn around if the weather got iffy. I was amazed at the number of people climbing on the outside of the cables. I'm so sad this accident happened, but not suprised.

• KHV Virus Implicated in Lake Mohave Carp Die Off   5 years 27 weeks ago

I thought that carp were non-native...if so, is this really a bad thing?

• Historical Graffiti   5 years 27 weeks ago

In the book Cities of Gold, the author (Douglas Preston) visits El Morro. Apparently at one point the park service removed all signatures from after a certain date. Unfortunately those included some pretty cool ones, one of which was supposedly William H. Bonney, AKA Billy the Kid.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

1. Climb the cables take a harness. Get a couple of slings and a carabineers. Rent from the mountain shop. One person falls inside the cables can turn into a real disaster.
    2. Be ready for rain and thunder even on what starts out to be a hot sunny day. Afternoon thundershowers on hot days often bring lightning as well as a solid downpour. It is common.
    3. Know your shoes. Some shoes are stickier than others.
    4. The steepness of the rock can be hard to judge without experience. And even with experience it can be hard to judge.
    5. Keep in mind that all that is needed for your foot to slip is some loose stuff. A little sand sized granite. A pebble. Also, sometimes the granite will flake off under your foot. Watch out for dirt. Best thing, follow the main traffic flow - between the cables.
    6. Wet granite is slippery. Climbers head to the tent or bar in wet conditions.
    7. Be patient. Leave your superman cape at home or at least at the base.
    8. Just because one person gets outside of the cables and makes it look easy does not mean it is. They could be an expert on the granite. They could have special sticky shoes. They could be an idiot.
    9. Have a great time because it is worth it.
    10. One last thing: Don't swim above the upper fall. The current is strong. It will get you and take you over this time of year.
    11. Have a great time because it is worth it.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I also am not sure about more rules in Yosemite . . . more common sense would be a good thing. Many years ago our church took a group of junior high and high school kids to YNP for a weeklong work-camp. The boys wanted to climb Half Dome . . . of course when the girls heard that they also wanted to go. One adult who had experience on the route volunteered to lead and I (having no desire to go to the top) volunteered to go and walk back with anyone who we felt shouldn't make the attempt. Both the group that made the top and those who just went for the great hike had a good day. The rangers have their hands full enforcing the rules already in existence. Earlier this month I say people cooking on top of the bear lockers at Curry Village and numerous bikes on the trail to Lower Yosemite Falls . . . both a no-no according to the rules. Visitors just need to realize and respect where they are when in any NP.

• Paraplegic Soldier Uses Courage, Determination, and 4,254 Pull-ups to Climb El Capitan   5 years 27 weeks ago

Prof. Bob,
    What a great inspirational article. As an incomplete paraplegic myself, I can relate to the Majors feelings. I to was told I probably would never walk again, 7 years ago. Although my activities are nowhere near the Majors I will use this article in my future presentations as a Peer Councilor to other Spinal Cord Patients at the VA Hospital in Richmond, Virginia.

Semper Fi
    Larry

• House Approves Measure to Direct North Cascades National Park to Stock Barren Lakes. What Do You Think?   5 years 27 weeks ago

Kurt, you're mixing up the time line on commitments made by NPS officials. The promises in question were made by officials prior to formation of the park in 1969. Park Service officials were specifically asked if fish stocking would continue during the hearings leading up to formation of the park. The conflict between the state of Washington and the NCNP came about in the eighties when the park tried to renege on those promises and stop all stocking.

Unlike the two other National Parks in WA you are required to carry a Washington State fishing license in NCNP.

The preferred alternative in the EIS is Alternative B: continue fish stocking in 42 lakes. When the science determined that low density, non-reproducing fish do not harm native biota that had to become the preferred alternative. But it put the Park Service in a bind because the science determined that a course contrary to national policy was scientifically acceptable. So they called Alternative D (no more fish stocking) the "environmentally preferred alternative." Not because that was what the science said, but because it fit a strictly purist point of view and NPS national policy. And that's all I see in Skip Jenkins' comments.

Heck, outside of Honolulu (which I can't comment on because I have not visited) it was never that expensive to find lodgings in Hawaii before. I've been to the Big Island twice and Maui once and never paid more than $100 a night -- and sometimes significantly less. And that was in the so-called flush times of the middle decade.

If any of you national parkers have not yet been to Hawaii Volcanoes, you've missed out on one of the really awesome (in the old sense of the word) sites in the system -- all the better now that it's steaming and rolling lava into the sea. Go.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I was packbacing in Yosemite the 1st week of June this year. Yosemite is having a very wet and cold spring. Above 8,000 ft there is still alot of snow, and lots of water. We were up near Sunrise lakes and the trails were in some places unpassable. We also got caught in two hailstorms and a T-storm.
    My point is the weather forecasts are posted everywhere in the park and if you venture up into the higher altitudes you better be prepared and you better be cautious. I have witnessed many folks in the park very unprepared for the challenges they could face there. Weather can change drastically very, very quickly. Half Dome is an iconic landmark that only the truly wise understand. It needs to be respected and one needs to be extremely humble when climbing it. We cut our trip short in the high-country because sometimes discretion truly is the better part of valor. If you plan on climbing in the high country, especially Half-Dome, just because you want to say, "I did it!" without fully understanding the challenges you may face, you are asking for trouble. If you see rude people, step-in and speak up, safety is everybody's responsibility, if folks choose not not to listen, so be it, but don't for one minute believe that someone else's behaviour will not impact you in a place as Grand as Yosemite.

I saw Dr. Swanson four times in my life and I have been so distraught over this tragedy. Why do the good have to die young?

He saw me in November and indicated I should have a laminectomy. We were to set a date soon. However, my pain became so intense that I could not walk nor function. I went to see him on Thursday, November 13 and he took one look at me and said he was aware of what I was going through and he was just so sorry but he was leaving for Ghana Saturday morning. The more he talked to me and watched me, he apparently decided this surgery might still be doable. He called his nurse and asked her to try to get an operating room the next day and if so, she needed to cancel certain appointments in the office; she was able to make all the arrangements and I was in the OR under anesthesia when he came in and did a perfect surgery. He came to my room about 7:00 that evening and told me all was well. And it was. I had no pain AT ALL. He went to Ghana on Saturday and I saw him for followup in a week or so. I was well.

I have never had a doctor go out of his way for me like that (and I'm 70 years old). It was so touching to see him make the decision to perform surgery despite his very busy schedule. You can be sure that I have talked about his great kindness to me to many people. He really went the extra mile. The more I read and hear about him, it seems that was his way of life. What a wonderful gift.

I can only offer his family and friends my deepest condolences. As I indicated, I only knew him professionally for a short time but I have been in shock and pain for this young man who had to leave this world too soon.

• Half Dome Hiker Falls to His Death in Yosemite   5 years 27 weeks ago

I hiked Half Dome on Friday with a group. It was a great day. No rain. However, we were prepared to not make the cable ascent if it looked like rain was imminent. We even got off the top sooner than we would have otherwise, as we saw clouds forming in the distance. And, there were storms or some rain most afternoons of the entire week we camped there. We specifically didn't go up Thursday, as we thought there was too great a chance of rain that afternoon. And, we started early to be off by 1, when clouds were forming.

3:40 is pretty late in the day to be doing the top. Unless you are camping at Little Yosemite Valley, you still have a long hike down (8.2 miles or so).

There are plenty of signs warning you not to ascend if the rock is wet or if there is a chance of rain. Another warning about Thunderstorms as lightening strikes are dangerous up there.

We did take the added precaution of fashioning a rope harness with a good carabiner that we could use up the cables. I have to believe that if this man had such a harness it would have saved his life. I'm not talking an expensive climbing harness, but using basic climbing knots, we rigged a harness that gives you a second chance if your feet slip and you lose your grip.

Worth all $10 of materials. And, it doesn't slow you down. Clip and unclip at each stanchion. Some argue that it's a distraction or a hindrance. Having done it, I can only say it gives you peace of mind, and I have to believe could have saved this man.

We don't need to take the cables down or regulate the ascent. People just need to read and research and be aware that this is an "extremely strenuous" hike just to get to the cables (that's from the NPS) and that the cable ascent is potentially fatal. When you see the masses going up and down, it is amazing more people aren't killed.

My heart goes out to his family. It's a tragedy. Such a beautiful hike and while everyone knows it's dangerous, no one starts out thinking something will happen to them.

I hope I don't sound critical of him. I feel terrible for him and his family. My comments here are for people making the trip. It's an incredible hike. Worth the effort. Consider spending 8 bucks on a climbing carabiner and get a length of rope and learn a couple decent knots.

I'm no expert, but my advice (having made this hike twice) is to plan well, check the weather, be prepared not to go all the way if the weather looks iffy, and give yourself a second chance if you slip by having something to clip on to the cables with.

My two cents.

• Historical Graffiti   5 years 27 weeks ago

Pioneer Register in Capitol Reef NP is another example of historic graffiti. Early settlers shot their names and dates into the smooth walls of the narrow canyon.