• Op-Ed|The National Park Service And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect   4 days 16 hours ago

Rick, it's always amazed me and believe it's part of the equasion about the effort that people commit to to get into these great places. Double amputees, heart transplant recipients, Downs kids and young adults that I've taken into the many places that only a few full bodied individuals venture have been such a fullfilling experience for me that I suggest crawling if that's the only way possible but use these places and adventures as motivation to reach for something that is so cool and rewarding. Little victories will get you there:)!

• Op-Ed|The National Park Service And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect   4 days 20 hours ago

In my youth and young adulthood I was in excellent condition and hiked into many places, from Banff to the Blue Ridge to the Sierra Nevada's and more. That was then. Now, at 65 and fairly well broken, I have cardiac and orthopedic problems holding me back from more than the mininal day hikes. That doesn't mean that I want to be heliported into the back country. It means that I want to heal myself and recondition myself and get into more strenuous hikes and remote country than I can at present. I figure it is all on a gradient. If something is essentially presented as "for everyone", like Old Faithful, I believe the NPS should make an effort to ensure that walkers and wheelchairs and suchlike can access it. Designated wilderness, on the other hand, is not for everyone and has never been presented as such.

Oh my! What extreme points of view. Most wilderness campsites I know of are merely a few miles from the trail head. One need not log on a 20 miles per day hike to enjoy a wilderness excursion. Sure, it requires exerting some effort to journey into wilderness, but that's all part of the fun! I say this while approaching 70 years of age, and having enjoyed a day's journey last month into the Black Elk Wilderness of Custer State Park of SD, where we met parties of all ages engaged in the one-half to a full day round trip trek to the summit of Harney Peak (the highest peak east of the Rockies). I can't say that anyone I met felt as if they or their family or friends felt as if they were "locked out." From the top of Harney Peak, there's a spectacular view of the natural, unmolested side of Mt. Rushmore.

So we have to make everything easy for everybody? We'll become a nation of pansies.

• Repeat Photography Exposes Changes Around Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park   4 days 22 hours ago

Fascinating stuff. Reminds me of the pictures of the retreating glaciers in Glacier NP.

• Trails I've Hiked: Devastated Area Trail At Lassen Volcanic National Park   5 days 28 min ago

I haven't made Lassen yet, but when I visited Mt St Helens about ten years after the blast there, the Line of Devastation was almost a ruler-cut straight line. Very impressive. At that time they were just beginning to see isolated sprouts of green show.

• Op-Ed|The National Park Service And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect   5 days 1 hour ago

rdm24 - You don't need a fence, lock and key to "virtually lock out" people, which was the phrase I used. If the only way to get there is to walk 20 miles - the vast majority of people aren't going to go. They will be "virtually" locked out.

• Trails I've Hiked: Devastated Area Trail At Lassen Volcanic National Park   5 days 3 hours ago

I visited Lassen last month, and found the Devastated Area Trail to be very interesting. In addition to the interpretive panels on the walk, there are some SUV-sized boulders in the area that were tossed out by the explosion, very impressive.

The article mentioned the Lassen Peak trail as well. It is worth noting that the trail has been subject to closures due to trail reconstruction. The day we were there it was closed at Grandview, about halfway up. But still worth the hike, and indeed a grand view.

During our visit, trail crews were busy with stonework, including retaining walls, stone switchbacks, stone pedestals for interpretive panels, and in one steep spot, a stone staircase. I complimented the trail crews on their good work, which reminds me of the stone work the CCC boys used to do in the parks. It will be there for the ages. (Or at least until the next time Lassen Peak blows its top.) When the work is done, a story in the Traveler with photos of the finished stonework would be appreciated.

• Op-Ed|The National Park Service And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect   5 days 5 hours ago

Wilderness designation is not, nor has it ever been, nor will it ever be a "lock out". In fact, the law specifically states that the purpose of designating wilderness is to preserve recreational access to land unaffected by development or motorized vehicles.

There are other regulations that may restrict people's access to public lands. None of them are grounded in provisions of the Wilderness Act, because the Wilderness Act does not do that.

Please go ahead and criticize the lack of access to public lands, but make sure you're blaming the right reasons. It isn't the Wilderness Act.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   5 days 5 hours ago

Rather than increase entrance fees, why not start a major public relations campaign requesting for public support and donations to help fund the park operations and programs? Of course, such a campaign might well raise public awareness about funding deficits to such a high level that the pubic might well demand Congressional solutions to the problem. Raising fees won't help most parks in my area of east TN, as all of our national park units traditionally (by law) do not charge an entrance fee, and I don't see this situation changing anytime soon. It's interesting that two of the most visited national parks in the entire country, the Great Smoky Mountains and the Blue Ridge Parkway, charge no entrance fees at all.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   5 days 8 hours ago

"The cliff notes version, with editorial comments, is posted at

This is why I said not to use WSNF as a source. This 'paper' contains many falsehoods and mis-statements. For example:

"The agencies’ authority to declare fee-free days would be repealed." This is untrue. On WSNF's blue line, please see pg. 23, line 7-11.

"Active duty military “may” get a free annual pass." Under current FLREA, there is no provision for giving active military (or their family) a free annual pass. The additional aside by WSNF is ridiculous considering they are pointing out something that currently doesn't exist.

"Concessionaires 'shall' be required to accept federal passes but only 'to the extent reimbursement is practicable.'" Concessionaires are not currently required to accept the pass for discounts. Any move towards forcing concessionaires to accept the discount pass would be an improvement.

"Senior and Disabled passes would have to provide some discount on campground fees, but the amount of the discount is not specified. Currently they receive a 50% discount. That would likely not be continued, since the concessionaires hate having to give it, and would likely be replaced with a lesser discount..." Under current FLREA, no discount is required to be given for amenity fees to senior and disabled pass holders. There is no provision in writing for a discount. This version requires a discount to be given. And, it requires the discount be given by consessionaires.

There are many other problems with WSNF's 'analysis' of HR5204 (these were quick and easy pickings). WSNF is propigating mis-information to further their agenda. While I may agree with WSNF's goal of keeping this rewrite from passing congress, I disagree with their methods.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   5 days 10 hours ago

Rick, have no problem with your LGBT community, this is still, sort of, a free country. It's the priorities of the NPS that are a problem. I still want to know how many resources and money are being spent on this initiative. I don't get trying to find more sites when the NPS can't manage what they have now.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   5 days 21 hours ago

It's never made much sense to me to charge by the car load. Why not by the number of actual people entering the park, using the facilities, walking the trails etc? I also wish someone would ask those in charge of budgeting just how much money is enough? Like every agency that spends other people’s money it seems like it is never enough. I don't see anywhere that these fee increases will stop the cries of not enough money or address the maintenance backlog.

As for the ice caves, I’m not sure who was responsible for marketing, but never have I read so many articles about the ice caves as last year. Had it not been for the publicity they received I suspect the number of visitors would have been manageable. So “if” it was the NPS who marketed them but now says they need more money to support it I have little sympathy. If in fact it was the city of bayfield, then I think the NPS should get the money directly from those businesses that prosper from marketing or hand over the duties of crowd control, medical support, bathrooms etx. to the city. I think in another post some time ago I said pretty soon the NPS will charge to see the sunrise or to look at a waterfall. Charging to see the ice caves is not much different.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   5 days 22 hours ago

While it's easy to criticize the NPS for possible fee increases, there's some interesting perspective in a comment above:

"Let's remember who mandated the Federal land management agencies to collect fees in the first place., the legislative arm of congress, the GAO."

Did the idea that parks should "pay their own way" as much as possible in order to reduce government spending originate with the agency ... or with others in government? Just asking.

Sorry KB - can't share your outrage. And don't see why Lee is so against it except that his nemesis Bishop is involved.

• Yosemite Nature Notes: Monarchs And Milkweed   5 days 23 hours ago

I was lucky enough to be in the Mexican Reserve, Mariposa Monarca, when the butterflies ended their annual trek back to Mexico. It looked as if it were snowing orange snowdrops and when they landed on the trees, they turned the pines from green to orange. There were millions of them. It is the most spectacular thing I have ever seen in nature.

Rick

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   6 days 2 min ago

Beachdumb--God forbid that that the employees of the NPS look like the face of America. As to LGBT sites:

Sites that commemorate the contributions of American women--Betsy Ross. Women's Rights, etc.

Sites that commemorate the contributions of Hispanics--Dry Tortugas. El Morro, etc.

Sites that commemorate the contribution of American authors--Eugene O'Neil, Longfellow, etc.

Sites that commemorate the contributions of American sculptors--Saint Gaudens

Sites that commemorate the contributions of American blacks--Martin Luther King, Tuskegee Airmen, etc.

So what's so different?--other than you apparently don't like LGBT people.

Rick

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   6 days 47 min ago

Let's remember who mandated the Federal land management agencies to collect fees in the first place., the legislative arm of congress the GAO. While not opposed to higher weekly entrance fees I believe the American public needs a real Interagency federal lands pass that includes Interior, Dept. Of Agriculture and Department of a Defense lands.

Thanks.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   6 days 48 min ago

ecbuck,

The cliff notes version, with editorial comments, is posted at

• Yosemite Nature Notes: Monarchs And Milkweed   6 days 1 hour ago

I'll comment on this again just to draw attention from those who may have missed taking a look at this. It's certainly worth 7 minutes and 49 seconds of your time.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   6 days 4 hours ago

re: "marketing" the ice caves at Apostle Islands, my understanding is word about last winter's rather unusual conditions began to spread mainly via social media, and like similar situations, once this story went "viral," it also attracted the attention of mainstream media around the world; the result was unprecedented crowds for this area.

The beauty of the ice caves did make for an interesting story, and we covered it here on the Traveler as well. Based on my conversations with several local businesses owners, no one, from local businesses, local government or the park staff, expected or was initially prepared to handle the crowds. Everyone involved forged a hasty and effective cooperative effort – but dealing with the major public safety issues in such situations was very expensive. Our story noted "a dozen injured or missing persons required assistance of Park Rangers and area partners" on a single busy day.

The park staff can't ignore (either legally or morally) the logistical and public safety issues that arise from such situations, and somebody has to pay the costs of significant overtime for both local staff and extra help imported from other parks. The sometimes extreme winter conditions made this a very challenging situation. It's easy for some in the world of internet blogs to simply scoff and say let the park handle it out of existing funds, but especially for a small park, that's simply unrealistic.

We've had this discussion before on this site, but this is a perfect example of a situation where a reasonable fee paid by those who use and benefit from a special activity is the most reasonable way to fund costs associated with that activity.

Will last winter's ice cave situation be repeated in future years? Nobody can say, but the park staff is being prudent in planning ahead for a way to fund it if it occurs again.

• Exploring The Parks: Olympic National Park In Time-Lapse   6 days 5 hours ago

Awesomely beautiful. Especially the dark sky scenes.

Watching the clouds form and disappear over the mountains and ridges provided a great glimpse at things instructors try to tell us in mountain flying safety sessions and in fire behavior schools.

I'll be looking forward to seeing more of their work.

• Higher Fees Coming To Your Favorite National Parks As Officials Search For Cash   6 days 5 hours ago

KBenzar (et al) -

Alot there. A quick scan did not reveal anthing particularly objectionable. Exactly what parts don't you like?

"Western Slope No Fee is not a good source for what is in HR5204. Much better to actually read it for yourself."

Be my guest. The complete text of FLREA, with HR5204 (note:NOT HR5402) applied as blueline edits is posted at

"The question is, is there any other alternative plan for the expiration of FLREA?"

The appropriations committees of both the House and Senate have already included an additional year extension of FLREA in their proposed permanent approps bills. Those will be taken up in conference after the election recess. The real question is, will that one year extension stand and give congress time to come to its senses and pass something reasonable, or will Bishop and Hastings substitute their bill for it as a rider? They deny that's their intention, but rec-fee legislation has not been passed any other way since 1965.