• Grand Teton National Park: Subterfuge Led to This Masterpiece   5 years 42 weeks ago

All I can say is thank goodness this area was saved and the national park was created ! How can anyone who has ever seen this spectacular place not be thankfull to all who helped make it happen ? It is indeed a grand place !

• Believe it or Not, Yosemite National Park Once had a Zoo   5 years 42 weeks ago

I'll bet there are hundreds of similar photos out there. (I vaguely recall seeing a photo of a ranger petting a deer in that Yosemite "zoo.") I'd especially like to see a photo of kids with the mountain lion.

• The "Yellowstone Creation Myth": A Good Tale, But Little More Than That   5 years 42 weeks ago

Whittlesey and Schullery's book on the creation myth is a pretty good one that goes not only into the myth but the history of trying to debunk the myth. Previous Yellowstone historian Aubrey Haines had to deal with a lot of angst within the Park Service to publish against the myth that men like Horace Albright worked so hard to keep in tact. And, it still is in tact to some extent; there's still this horrible plaque outside the Madison Visitor Center looking toward National Park Mountain.

My only beef with the book is that they go on to defend this myth, not as history, but as myth. And, while I think myth is deeply important, I think this particular myth is not the kind of story we should be perpetuating. On this and myth making in Yellowstone, I spent a lot of time writing, as I find the whole thing fascinating. See Re-mythologizing Yellowstone for a lot more.

Are you familiar with the once influencial essay "Yosemite: The Story of an Idea" by Hans Huth from 1948 in the Sierra Club Bulletin? It is obviously almost forgotten, Richard Sellars doesn't even mention it in his history of the National Parks. It is at least not prominently named in Heacox "An American Idea", so I didn't find it thumbing through. Fortunately it is online one the somewhat obscure Website yosemite.ca.us at http://www.yosemite.ca.us/library/yosemite_story_of_an_idea.html and worth reading it, more then 60 years later.

• GPS Unit Leads Couple Into Trouble Near Glen Canyon National Recreation Area   5 years 42 weeks ago

I was on Cottonwood Wash Road in October of 2008. We had a great drive from 89 S to Tropic. It was a bit rough in Kane County section, but smoothed out. There is no reason to trust any kind of electronic navigation system unless you are with the CIA or the Army out in the backcountry west. You need to use a good map and a compass. I also have an altimeter in my car and a car compass (they are not fancy but they work and are reliable) and pay attention to my senses, odometer and judgment. I do not even understand why you would try this (entering addresses and looking at an electronic map). It's a waste of energy, just get a good map, ask around about conditions.

We saw the AP article in Kanab BLM station about those people from California that dead-ended staring at their GPS units. I'm glad its finally up on the internet where all can learn from their pathetic arrogance.

I have a picture that was in a box of old family photos, of a woman in a 1920's era dress, feeding a bear standing on it's hind legs from a presumable Coke bottle.

• "Give A Lincoln" To Help Preserve National Park Service Sites Tied to the Former President   5 years 42 weeks ago

A nice effort - hope it will pay off.

• What's Blooming In Yosemite National Park?   5 years 42 weeks ago

Kurt, I'm absolutely positive Carl Sharsmith would love this piece on the Yosemite wildflowers. Very nicely put together.

• Considering a Hike up Half Dome?   5 years 42 weeks ago

Why is this even allowed? I understand allowing a certain amount of people to hike up at one time, but allowing a whole trail to march up at the same time? Seems irresponsible to me...

• Desert Solitaire Review   5 years 42 weeks ago

Darn, where did I leave that Monkey- wrench? Edward Abbey is one of the great misanthropic icons of The American West. I was particularly entertained by his notions of feeling cramped by the closeness of the living things in the woods of the Northwest. Truly 'The Desert Rat'.

• Critics: Changing Gun Laws in National Parks Would Open a "Pandora's Box" of Problems   5 years 42 weeks ago

Fred,
    How nice that you are able to protect yourself and your family. I wish I was afforded that "right" myself. Too bad our supreme court doesn't understand the phrase "shall not be infringed." Sign me, unprotected and wondering why....

• The Essential Arches   5 years 42 weeks ago

This is a question, not a comment.

A couple of years ago, my husband and I visited Zion, Bryce and Sedona. We found online a hiking guide to the Sedona area that included turn-by-turn trail instructions, with *photographs* at each stage. The creator of the guide offered a downloadable PDF version for sale at a very reasonable price. We bought it, and it turned out to be very helpful.

We are now planning a trip to Arches and Canyonlands, and have been looking for a similar guide, but we have not been able to find one. This appears to be a very knowledgeable and authoritative site. Does anyone here know of a source for a guide of this type for Arches and/or Canyonlands, in any format?

Thanks!

Fran Fruit
    Winnetka, IL

• A Church in the Wilderness   5 years 42 weeks ago

Georgeous! Been there a few years ago and would love to go back.

• Bryce Canyon National Park: This Small Corner of Utah Packs a Colorful Punch   5 years 42 weeks ago

These are my thoughts exactly. The highlight of my childhood was a family roadtrip across the U.S. visiting many national parks and other wondrous sights. The entire trip was three weeks, the length of my father's vacation. We did very little hiking but I drank in the magnificence of those places. Now, I try to take my children to see our beautiful country.
    I love hiking, but it is not for everyone. And hiking up a grade at a high altitude is very difficult for many individuals.

• Desert Solitaire Review   5 years 42 weeks ago

Re: "Desert Solitaire" review: I too have been touched by the beauty of canyon country and desert lands, but I won't be leaving the old lady and the brats behind on my upcoming trip; I'll be taking my husband and the kids to experience God's earth together.

• Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park Lands Windfall In Donation of Historic Buildings, Memorabilia   5 years 42 weeks ago

Sounds like a positive development for this park. This speaks well of the relationship between the park and the local community.

Perhaps the best news is that both the park and the town benefited, and it sounds like they are working in tandem to compliment, rather than duplicate, efforts. I hope the cost to restore and maintain the donated buildings won't make this a burden rather than a blessing. The town can use some additional "real history" to help offset the touristy stuff along the main drag.

• Another Yellowstone National Park Wolf Reaches Colorado   5 years 42 weeks ago

Click-click. (round in the chamber)

• Alaska Game Officials Being Asked to Ease Off On Killing Bears and Wolves in National Park Preserves   5 years 42 weeks ago

Whatever insane law that allows the State of Alaska to control hunting on National Park land needs to be changed. National Park lands belong to all Americans, not just Alaskans. National Park lands are for the protection of all native flora and fauna, not for providing trophy hunting under any circumstances !

• What Would Wildlife Say About Concealed Carry in National Parks?   5 years 42 weeks ago

Oh but Tom when was the last time you read the 2nd Amendment and the old version of 36 CFR 2.4 in the same sitting? It doesn't take a lawyer to figure out that this is not a 2nd Amendment issue. Granted it makes a nice soap box and people will listen if they think their rights are restricted, but it's just a wolf in sheeps clothing. You had the same rights granted in the 2nd Amendment with the old 36 CFR 2.4 While on the subject of 2nd Amendment rights ask the NRA why you are not allowed to carry with a valid CCW permit at their annual meetings?

• Presumed 400-foot Fall Kills Man in Zion National Park   5 years 42 weeks ago

Zion has more abrupt drop-offs than most Parks. Canyon Overlook wouldn't be a hard place to lose your footing and slide over the edge.

• About That Stimulus Package for the National Parks: Nothing Worthwhile Is Easily Attained   5 years 42 weeks ago

Sabattis wrote, With the budget deficit now proposed to hit 1.75 trillion dollars in 2010, and no sign of a new comprehensive effort to reduce the maintenance backlog, was a once-in-a-generation opportunity missed - despite the change in Administration?

Are you suggesting that the political party of the president matters little in how national parks are treated? That both parties overlook parks or use them as political pawns?

I've reflected on this a little more, and realized that the other possible storyline here (i.e. other than the possible storyline about the limits of the NPS to absorb and manage additional spending) is what a phenomenal missed opportunity this was for the Parks. The last time this country faced an economic crisis of this magnitude, the National Parks played a now-legendary role in the stimulus and jobs program that was established to respond to it (CCC anyone?). Surely this role could have made for a strong selling point in addressing the maintenance backlog for the Parks, right? Shortly after the last election many interest groups immediately began gearing up to ensure that their concerns were addressed in the stimulus package. Were Parks interest groups perhaps too distracted by a guns issue that may not ultimately impact most Park visitors to have successfully made that case? With the budget deficit now proposed to hit 1.75 trillion dollars in 2010, and no sign of a new comprehensive effort to reduce the maintenance backlog, was a once-in-a-generation opportunity missed - despite the change in Administration?

• Presumed 400-foot Fall Kills Man in Zion National Park   5 years 42 weeks ago

It appears to me, and I have no facts or figures to support my thinking, that there seems to be more visitor deaths at Zion than other parks.

I've wondered previously, why other National priorities like education and transportation received much bigger allotments in the stimulus package than National Parks - but the fact that it is going to take the National Park Service and Department of the Interior four months just to figure out where to start spending the money seems to point in the right direction. For all the talk of the $9 billion backlog, one wonders if the NPS really has the backlog well-defined enough to be able to address it, even if they were suddenly given the resources to do so.