• Interior Officials Want to Allow Concealed Carry in the National Parks   5 years 40 weeks ago

There are pros/cons to both sides of this issue, but the fact remains that guns will be carried reguardless of the outcome of this issue. (just the honest people are the ones that lose). This is AMERICA, what happened to our rights that our nation was built on? They are being stripped away by those who want to control everything. There is a name for that.......Communism!!!!

• Study Says Loss of Wolves Damaging Olympic National Park's Forest Ecosystem   5 years 40 weeks ago

Need a better predator/pray balance...not control hunting! Keep the damn hunters and ranchers out of the equation and let nature do it's job.

Replace wolves with controlled hunting.

The NRA sure knows when to pile on a blog! I guess the gun craze issue will be with us until the NRA gets everything it wants...lock, stock and barrel!

I don't understand why I should "need" to carry a concealed handgun into a park. Why do my second amendment rights disappear when I enter a park? Anywhere that I go is a place that people with evil intent may also go, so why is there this illusion that NP's are completely safe? Hikers go missing and are found murdered every year. Sure, the odds are that I will not need a gun, but why restrict me from having one? Also, if parks are so safe, why do rangers carry pistols? If there is any reason for a ranger to have a pistol I'll bet it is a legitimate reason for me to have one too.

• Another Black Bear Put Down, This One In Yellowstone National Park   5 years 40 weeks ago

Mother Bear is sick, so Father Bear saw no alternative but to seek food in other places, a forest fire destroyed their food source last year, and fishing is slow as well. Baby Bear is hungry and Mother is getting weaker. They said their goodbye
    with the thought of good fortune (food) tomorrow.. Baby Bear still waits by the rock Pappa Bear taught him only yesterday..........Pappa where are you??????????

• Another Black Bear Put Down, This One In Yellowstone National Park   5 years 41 weeks ago

Right on. If we have the money to build roads,home's, and park's in the wilderness, we should be able to protect the life of wilderness. This should be part of a permit to build. Thou shall not kill. Relocate,Relocate, as many times as it take's or keep people out, not the creature's. We can move a lot easier than they can.

• Should Yellowstone National Park's Elk Herds Be Culled to Fight Brucellosis?   5 years 41 weeks ago

Interesting letter to the editor from a very good group who seems to share my beliefs concerning wildlife and wilderness.

• Man Bitten at Saguaro National Park by Gila Monster   5 years 41 weeks ago

I have to agree, the guys a dumb***. Some people may think that you should give the man a break, WELL who is giving the animals a break??? I'm sorry for this homeless man that was off his meds( I'm glad the doctar diagnosed this for us). Perhaps in the future he will not listen to the gila monster when he wants to be his friend.

We went on vacation last year to yellow stone. It was in fact an awesome place and every one should see it. BUT I totally agree we have been moving in on nature and wild life...they were here first. While we were there, a woman was kicked out of the park because she was trying to get a picture of her baby on the back of a bison!!!!! People just don't get it. There bear learned to assoicate food with humans from........thats right humans. Until "we" humans learn to live and respect the world around us animals, plant life, air, water, ETC doesn't have a chance. And no I'm not a "tree hugger" I just realize the impact we have on our world. It goes beyond our back yard.
    Mary

I agree, Fred. There are millions of acres in the surrounding areas of Yellowstone where humans would not pose a threat to this bear!

I agree, Fred. There are millions of acres where humans would not pose a threat to this bear in the surrounding states.

Keep on Jammin Fred!

Pete

• Man Bitten at Saguaro National Park by Gila Monster   5 years 41 weeks ago

I typed *MAY* not be mentally fit. There's a difference between MAY and IS.

The statistics are there about the correlation between being homeless and having a debilitating disease such as schizophenia (which may be why the man got the impression from the gila monster that "it wanted to be friends").

Homeless with such diagnoses are also less likely to stay on their meds schedule.

The whole point of my original post was hoping that ya'll would cut the guy some slack. The first couple posts were mean in regards to the man. If the gila monster somehow communicated to the man that "it wanted to be friends", what do you think? If he is having a problem due to an undiagnosed condition, should he be charged with a crime?

Here's the NPS Morning Report section...July 9
    "Saguaro National Park (AZ)
    Man Bitten Twice By Poisonous Gila Monster

On June 25th, a 24-year-old homeless man who had wandered into the park found a gila monster and picked it up because – as he later told rangers – "it wanted to be friends." The man then placed the gila on his shoulders, whereupon it promptly bit him on the neck. While trying to shed the animal, it bit him once more on the hand. He then picked it up and wrapped it in a piece of clothing. A park volunteer encountered the man walking on a roadway adjacent to the park and asked if he needed help. The man told the volunteer what had happened, then showed him the gila. Rangers were summoned; when they arrived, they found the man vomiting and complaining of difficulty breathing. He was transported by ambulance to a Tucson area hospital, where he was admitted for treatment of the bites, heat exhaustion and severe dehydration. The gila appeared uninjured, and was returned to the park. This was the park's second gila bite incident this year. Gila monsters are native to the American southwest and northern Mexico and are the only venomous lizard native to the United States. These heavy, slow-moving lizards can grow up to two feet long and can weigh up to three pounds. Because of their slowness, they rarely present a threat to humans. [Submitted by Bob Love, Chief Ranger] "

• Fire Restrictions Ban Campfires at Zion National Park   5 years 41 weeks ago

There is nothing new about this they always ban campfires in Zion usually May thru Oct. They also never allow fireworks in Zion. To me this is not news. Most parks in the Southwest have these bans this time of the year. Only a fool would light a campfire here in the Southwest during the summer. Oh I forgot there are a lot of fools out there who don't understand that when its dry you shouldn't have a campfire.

• Will The Superintendent's Summit Chart The Path For The National Park Service's Next Chapter?   5 years 41 weeks ago

Just more bureaucratic blather at taxpayer expense. Can anyone out there recall whatever became of the Vail Agenda, Ranger Futures or any of the other acronym laden "working documents" generated by these per diem driven schmooze-fests? How can anyone continue to keep taking this stuff seriously?

I wholeheartedly agree with Art Allen that the primary job of the agency is to maintain and preserve the parks and not obsess on numbers. Park managers seem to thrive in a crisis mode because it was not very long ago that the mantra of "we're loving the parks to death" was all the rage throughout the NPS due to the high number of visitors that were "trampling" these sacred grounds into dust. Now it's in a panic about declining numbers and the seeming lack of interest by young people and minorities. What's a poor superintendent supposed to do?

How about staying focused on the unglamorous job of making sure the toilets flush and the trails are clear of fallen trees and letting the rest of it take care of itself?

The idea that BLM and Forest Service lands are somehow second-rate is a misconception that is fading fast. Many national parks have become quite a hassle to visit and far too expensive for the tastes of the common man. I spent a week in the BLM lands of Utah's West Desert last month and concluded that it equaled any national park in solitude, scenery and wildness and it didn't cost me a red cent to visit. I highly recommend y'all give other public lands a try. Whether this advice will help or hurt the national parks is a matter of conjecture based on what crisis is currently holding sway in the hallowed halls of WASO.

• Man Bitten at Saguaro National Park by Gila Monster   5 years 41 weeks ago

Guess this is another case where a concealed weapon would have solved all the world's woes. Damn those wild animals are vicious!

Hey Airport4, I paid good money for my University of Disney biology degree. With it I know more than the PhDs working in the field will ever know, and I can criticize the feds on whatever they do with bears, bison, chipmunks and aliens (they're not just in area 51 you know).

Habituated bears are dead bears. Period.

• There's A New Way To Come Up For Air At Mammoth Cave National Park   5 years 41 weeks ago

Wow! Great article and a great photo of the new tower. If I had a nickel for every step that we took on that old tower...

Thanks for the post. It brings back a lot of memories.

• Park History: Mammoth Cave National Park   5 years 41 weeks ago

I have family who lived in the Mammoth Cave Park territory before it was made into a park. I would like to see a map ot the area that would designate who owned parts of the land before the park was formed. I know that some sold the land to the park and some of the land was confiscated by emminent domain. Some of my relatives still live in Brownsville today. I have always been fascinated with this area and its history. My dad grew up in part of ths area. He lived in the area back of the old Lincoln school. Years ago, we drove back as far as we could go. It was closed off by the park. My grandfather worked for the CCC in Camp 4 who did work in this area. His name is Elijah (Lige) Meredith. If anyone has any information that may be useful to me, please email me.

Enjoyed your article on the new tower at Mammoth Cave (MaCa). I will enjoy running up and down those steps in a few weeks for a week of MaCa Restoration Camp the first week in August. We really don't run up and down the steps but it seems like it working down in the cave. You can check our our website at www.restoremammoth.com

• Brown Bears Fishing at Katmai National Park and Preserve   5 years 41 weeks ago

The bears in the water are amazing. Thanks for sharing.

I can't wait to get there this week end with two of our 11 grandchildren.

Grandma Betty

• Man Bitten at Saguaro National Park by Gila Monster   5 years 41 weeks ago

Anonymous: The NPS Morning Report (as stated in the post above and available to read on the NPS website) says he was homeless.

Mookie: C'mon. Anyone who puts a gila monster on their shoulders because he thinks it wants to be friends *isn't* all there...

Why not relocate the bear? 1. Bears come back, sometimes from remarkable distances. 2. Do you want a habituated bear in your back yard? Most folks don't. People need to get past the University of Disney biology degree.

• Violent Deaths in the National Parks   5 years 41 weeks ago

"A gun in a US home is 22 times more likely to be used in an accidental shooting, a murder or a suicide than in self-defense against an attack."..........Gosh Fred, guess if you suddenly stop posting in January we'll know what happened!
    Seriously though, women have many options besides kicking and screaming. A few are: taking a self defense course, carrying a can of mace, carrying a taser, being aware of her surroundings, walking in groups etc. A gun in her purse isn't going to stop an assailant from grabbing her from behind, while some basic knowledge of karate might. My daughter took a course several years ago (mainly for the exercise benefits) and I can tell you, God help anyone who tries anything!!
    There are one and a half million victims of violent crime in America every year. That's out of over three hundred million people (not counting foreign visitors and uncounted illegals). That's about 0.6% of the population; and unless you live in a high crime area your chances are actually considerably smaller than that. Even though I have been a victim in the past (I have actually had a gun stuck right in my face), I consider my chances of avoiding future problems pretty good. BTW, when I had that gun stuck in my face, it came out of nowhere. I am absolutely convinced that if I had tried to pull a weapon of my own, I WOULD BE DEAD.
    Let's face it, though. This law change is a done deal. The Bush administration has already made up their minds to pander to the NRA. They aren't interested in whether or not there is a need to change it (the statistics in this article prove that there isn't). They aren't interested in public opinion. If they were questionnaires would be being handed out at every entrance station and every visitor's center in the National Park System; yet as pointed out on another thread by a former Park Service employee, Parks are being instructed NOT TO BRING THE ISSUE UP WITH ACTUAL PARK VISITORS! They aren't interested in the opinions of professionals who put their lives on the line day in and day out to protect our national treasures, as most law enforcement rangers (current and past) and every single past Park Service Director opposes this. As Stephen Colbert puts it, "The Bush administration never allows facts to get in the way of its decision making!" Just as bison hazing and slaughtering has nothing to do with brucellosis (it's about grass), this has nothing to do with personal protection, the second amendment or gun rights. It's all about political power. Too bad.
    My only hope is that the entire weight and power of the United States Justice Department will come down on any illegitimate use of a gun in a Park, whether it's shooting a squirrel, target practice etc. Anyone who thinks that they can "defend" themselves from a charging grizzly bear with most anything that they could carry in a holster (except, of course, a can of bear spray) will find a more instant form of justice, I'm afraid!