• Interior Department Releases Study That Tracks Decline Of Glaciers in Alaska and Washington State   5 years 36 weeks ago

Actions have consequences. Over the past 200 years, and particularly over the last century, humans have extracted, burned and returned to the active atmosphere billions of years of carbon accumulation. From a geological perspective, it has been a massive, planet-wide carbon eruption. To believe that human forcing is of no significance in climate change seems illogical.

With all due respect to Jimi I would rather put my faith in the facts as presented by scientific entities like NASA and USGS. The junkscience site just doesn't inspire my confidence. There's so many disclaimers in it, it's no wonder that whoever wrote it wasn't even confident enough to put his name on it. I think there's plenty of documented proof out there of how human activity degrades Earth's biosphere. No amount of smoke and mirrors will make it go away. As for predictions, there's so much we DON'T know that our best guess may as well come from a fortune cookie.

Beamis - I tend to agree with you that most of what is happening is due to solar activity, that is what I have read from most scientsts that ARE NOT FUNDED BY THE GOVERNMENT. Several years ago, television channels that were delivered by satelite were constantly bothered by solar flares - not so much any more? That, of course, is anecdotal as is most of what we read about 'global warming.' I do see a pattern in results depending on where the funding for the research comes from - not saying that either side has convinced me, but it is disturbing to know that the answer depends on the funding organization. I know I am repeating but I have seen evidence that solar activity is cyclic and that we are approaching a cool spell and I have seen NO evidence that man has any affect on the near surface temperature of the Earth, hence no effect on the temperature of the 'globe.'.

Less solar activity.

We are currently experiencing a historic solar minimum with lots of record to near record low temperature averages for the summer season, so far, in many cities and states in the northern half of the lower 48 (NYC, Chicago, North Dakota and parts of Wisconsin). We know that cold weather is a definite part of the recent climatic past and is more likely to occur than warmer temps just given the law of averages for this particular climatic epoch.

My bet still stands from an earlier post on this website: the earth is going to be getting cooler, much cooler. Any other takers out there?

Ray - you are right, I had just read that and it was a quick fresh reference. I agree, as I did before, that there is massive change - but, I still have not seen ANY evidence that it is caused by man. The near surface Earth temperature is actually going down, has over the last ten years? Is that more likely to be due to less activity by man or less solar activity?

Jimi, I do not question your title as a scientist. However, I am surprised that you use the junkscience site as a credible source of scientific data. I suggest that USGS, NASA, and meteorological research divisions associated with major universities might be more appropriate sources of climate related information and opinion. I believe human forcing plays a significant role in modern climate change.

As a scientist, I must say that the pictures and video are quite disturbing and certainly demonstrate that our climate is changing - the laws of physics are most assuredly in play. As a scientist, I must also say that evidence is quite strong that change in climate is not caused by what we do here but rather by solar activity - and that is not a ploy or plot against Al Gore, just trying to ALL of the facts:

Wow! The video is pretty grim. Kurt, thank you for the links. They reinforce what we already know, that glaciers are retreating all over the world. I attach a link of a NASA article which goes into detail about the retreat of the Greenland ice sheets. This article includes photos illustrating the retreat over time: http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/jakobshavn.html

To my mind the evidence is overwhelming, but from comments made on similar articles on this site I know there are those who choose to discount any mention of global warming. Their "skepticism" reeks of energy interest profiteering, and certainly makes the case for "fundamentalism". I suppose those same people would also deny the existence of the laws of physics.

I believe glaciers on Mount Shasta in northern California are growing as well. I seem to recall that the warming Pacific of recent winters is responsible, as it produced some prodigious snowstorms on Shasta and other coastal ranges.

Thanks for those links, Kurt. Decreased runoff and warmer rivers will also further stress salmon and
    steelhead runs.

It's fascinating to me that one of the few advancing glaciers is in the recent crater of Mount St. Helens.
    Here's a link to the best photo I could find:

also a locally produced video, that I believe shows the glacier surrounding the lava dome:

• Reader Participation Day: Do You Believe There Should Be Overflight Tours of National Parks?   5 years 36 weeks ago

Check out this article, posted on Oregon Live

Several conservation groups today sent a letter to federal officials warning that a proposal to allow helicopter tours of Crater Lake National Park could be illegal. Noise from the helicopters would shatter the peaceful beauty of Oregon's only national park, and could further disturb nesting areas of endangered spotted owls, the group says.

"Oregon needs to do a better job of protecting our natural treasures," said Erik Fernandez, wilderness coordinator with Oregon Wild, which joined with Umpqua Watersheds and the Crater Lake Instititue in submitting the letter to the National Park Service and the Federal Aviation Administration.

The federal agencies are considering a permit request by Bend-based Leading Edge Aviation to fly 300 tours yearly within 1,000 feet of the crater rim.

The permit request quickly came under fire.

Owen Hoffman
    Oak Ridge, TN 37830

I agree with Dave completely. If they're going to take away from the park (peace & solitude), then they damn well better be giving back (pay for back logged repairs at the park) Tax the heck out of em'

• Vandals Trash Historic CCC Building at Colorado National Monument   5 years 36 weeks ago

It's really a shame that some folks have nothing better to do than to trash public buildings. Unfortunatley, even if they're caught, the punsihment is usually a slap on the the wrist. Sure wish kneecapping were legal!!

Kurt, my opinion is they should be allowed with many restrictions. Limit the number of flights, the types of air craft and helicopters, and most importantly limit the noise. Make it tough on the operators by requiring some sort of ultra quiet standard so they are not disturbing the park any more than a bird flying over. And maybe tax the crap out of them so the taxes collected go to parks directly.
    Dave Crowl

• 4-Year-Old Drowns In Lake Powell at Glen Canyon National Recreation Area   5 years 36 weeks ago

This is a sobering reminder that children loose their lives at National Park Units far too often. Sadly we see this completely preventable accident played out over and over. How can we get these parents/guardians out of the unaware state and into the aware state that will allow them to recognize the incredible risk they assume for their child when they choose not to put a life jacket on them? For the most part these are good people who quite simply failed to recognize the threat. Letting your children play in, on or near open bodies of water without a life jacket is incredibly risky period! If they get in trouble you have very little time to save them. I am amazed to see how many people choose to do this and am 100% convinced that if they understood the consequence was death they would choose to put a life jacket on their child. My heart goes out to the rescuers who have to respond to this and to the families who will be changed forever.

I have to agree with Gary. I too moved from the Grand Canyon to a suburban area and it is also quieter than my house within Grand Canyon National Park. Traffic, sirens, helicopters, machinery - the South Rim village is never quiet.

The perpetrators of this crime, if caught...twenty lashes across the back! I hope they find these sicko's and severely thrash them good. The construction of this rustic monument is a testament of the hard work and dedication of the Civilian Conservation Corps. This symbol of construction by the CCC should always be marveled at and protected. Now, lets find the SOB's that did this horrendous vandalism. I surprise there hasn't been more public outcry on NPT regarding this kind of sick vandalism.

• Visitation to National Parks Is On the Upswing, Entrance-Fee-Free Weekends Partly to Blame   5 years 36 weeks ago

Could some of the upswing be due to gas prices coming down this year versus last year? As for free weekends - as a Senior Citizen I purchased the pass that allows me free access to all National Parks. I guess that is an advantage of getting old.

Years ago at Big Cypress National Preserve once and a while military fighter jets would make low altitude high speed flyovers when I was deep in the swamps there. To me these were "proud to be an American" moments as the immense power eminating from their freedom protecting engines filled my being during their rapid approach, passover and exit to the horizon. Then quickly it was over and the stillness returned. Being ex-Air Force this didn't bother me and it reminded there are a lot of fellow Americans protecting us all every minute of every day. I haven't seen or heard them for years and was told that a law or rule was passed preventing military flights over this region. Nowadays though I more frequently view and hear NPS helicopters and fixed wing aircraft operating for longer periods of time at much lower altitudes (e.g. treetop level) doing whatever they feel they need to do. I'm sure some missions involve Panther telemetry surveillance. It is obvious when you see the airplane circling a lone swamp hammock 5 or 6 times about 80 feet off the ground. I always feel sorry for the Panther being harassed. I always figure 1 pass should be sufficient but what do I know. Many times NPS choppers have hovered above me as I hunted deer in Big Cypress. At first I thought they were trying to scare the deer away but now I look forward to these hovering choppers. They do actually put the neighberhood deer on the move. The last 4 incidents have yielded 2 deer in the bag for me since I've learned the deer's response and now always start ground stalks about 5 minutes after these incidents which always seems to produce sightings of from 4 to 5 deer with legal bucks being present at least 1/2 of the time.
    As far as commercial overflights are concerned I believe folks should be empathetic to all Americans needs.Those that aren't as fortunate as myself or others to be able to spend days and days in these glorious places should be afforded and supported in seeing and experiencing our National treasure in the manner that works best for them. Those not supporting people lacking the time to see this treasure over a shorter time span and at higher speed via air travel could or will be perceived elitist snobs.
    I feel it would be a disservice to NPS if more "airshed" duties were thrust upon them since they have more to do now than their budget will allow them to do effectively. Mr. Fagergren should be aware of this since he used to be the superintendent at Big Cypress.
    I would recommend those worried to lighten up since the sounds come and go rather quickly.
    Heck in the Addition Land plans at Big Cypress out for review now NPS has seen fit to propose Wilderness designation along both sides of Interstate 75 for 20 miles between Ft. Lauderdale and Naples Fl. The noise from 23,000 cars and semi- trucks per day that travel the road will be continually penetrating up to 5 miles deep into this Wilderness i865t along both sides of this highway, if it is eventually proposed. If these noise levels exceeding 100 db at roadside are acceptable according to NPS's own Wilderness criteria it seems a bit disenguine or hypocritical to be complaining about less noisy commercial oveflights unless one has a hidden agenda contained below the surface of their public comments either here or elsewhere.

• Young Kayaker Rescued in Glacier National Park, But Not Before A Nap in a Hollow Log   5 years 36 weeks ago

At last! A boating accident where the individual was at least wearing a PFD, so the final outcome was a positive one.

• National Park Quiz 66: Cemeteries   5 years 36 weeks ago

Good catch, xnprngr, and I do thank you very kindly. I made the fix. Now, prepare for some weaselspeak. Several years ago I visited Coloma (ghost town) in the California gold country incident to a stay at Sierra City and some hiking on the PCT. That's surely why I wrote Coloma instead of Colma. Pretty good weaselspeak, wouldn't you say?

• National Park Quiz 66: Cemeteries   5 years 36 weeks ago

#12 - That little community of the dead located south of San Francisco is Colma (not Coloma, as indicated in the question.)

• Big Cypress National Preserve: Is More ORV Access In Bear Island Unit Wise?   5 years 36 weeks ago

It's 2% of ORV owners that make it tough for the rest of us. That's why I love the penalties imposed at Ocala National Forest. I knew a guy who went off trail and had to pay $1500.00 in fines for going into a wetland. Let the mud wheelies go to river ranch and use their mud pit which is what it's for and leave the national forests alone. To be fair, I have put more miles on my feet than I have my ATV but I love both. Alot of times I'll use my ATV to get to the start of my hike. Especially true since I am pushing 50 now. To get back to my point, if the fine is steep enough, you will get rid of the riff raff and those that have no respect for the wilderness.

I would suggest a reading of Marc Reisner's book, Cadillac Desert, especially the portions on Floyd Dominy (BOR commish. from '59-'69) to understand the mentality of a government agency such as the FAA. The FAA will never relinquish control of "air space" over the national parks or allow others to suggest what they should do with it unless congressionally mandated. The National Parks Air Tour Management Act of 2000 just isn't going to do it. This is what the FAA was set up to do, so, you can't necessarily blame them or the NPS.

Bureaucracy is not an obstacle to democracy but an inevitable complement to it. -- Joseph A. Schumpeter, 1883-1950, Austrian-American Economist

rob
    ---
    Executive Director,
    Crater Lake Institute
    www.craterlakeinstitute.com
    Robert Mutch Photography

Life in the United States is complicated, stressful, and for most of us, noisy. The pressures most of us experience on a day to day basis are more than just "quality of life" issues. Over time they are threatening to life itself. It is fundamental to our physical health, not to mention our psychological and spiritual well-being that we have access to at least occasional respite from these pressures and visits to national parks should be seen as such. The ability to have an experience that as closely as possible approximates a truly natural environment is something that national parks can offer and they should be managed in a manner that guarantees this. Air tours that pass over national parks violate this principle, serving to distract thousands while entertaining a few. They should not be permitted. Unfortunately the FAA cannot be depended upon to help. Its mandate to regulate and promote civil air transport is in conflict with itself and the sympathies of FAA career managers has always tilted toward the promotion side.

When I moved from Grand Canyon National Park in 1996 to Harpers Ferry, WV, it was sad to note how much quieter it was in suburban West Virginia.

Air tours are not the only distraction that breaks the bond between park visitors and the park experience. Tour buses, motorcycles, generators, portable radios or CD players and cell phones are culprits as well and park managers should be given the tools necessary to limit their impacts.