• Bush Administration's Haste Could Doom New Gun Rules In National Parks   5 years 35 weeks ago

I have been sitting here wondering how my carrying a pistol while I am hiking in the boondocks in a national park has any enviromental impact. If I accidentally encounter a grizzly bear and am attacked, I should have the right to protect myself and my family. The above post by Cris indicates that he has never been in the back country and a "semiautomatic" pistol or revolver is irrelevant-just hyperbole and scare tactics. I personally don't want to try to load a pistol while I am being charged by a bear. In addition, three shots is a sign of needing help.
    Persons who have concealed permits have already been verified by the FBI, fingerprinted, and passed proficiency tests to have that privalege. These are not the people you need to worry about. You do need to worry about the Drug/alcohol crazed individuals and sex deviants that do not wear a T-shirt indicating such that do visit our National Parks.
    I personally do not see a problem with the new regulation. The people that do want to pick and choose which part of the Constitution that they agree with and force their personal beliefs on others.

Obviously to protect ourselves from the hotbed of terrorism that occurs in national parks! ;)

It's ironic that there have been attempts in the past to disarm park rangers in recent history because it was shown that the crime rate in parks was so minimal. Here is an article discussing it (there are other viewpoints out there)

Pendleton, M. R. (1996) Crime, Criminals and Guns in Natural Settings: Exploring the Basis for Disarming Federal Ranger. American Journal of Police, Vol. XV, No. 4.

• Heavy Metals Detected in Wildlife of Cape Krusenstern National Monument   5 years 35 weeks ago

Oh crikey...here we go..."continued monitoring"...code for "we need gobs of taxpayer money to pad our wallets over sumthin' that we really know..nudge, nudge, *wink* *wink* doesn't merit attention."
    I'm gettin SO tired of this crap. Envirowackism is bankrupting us, while destroying the reputation of good science.

Morons? lets be realistic. Both ends of the spectrum (NRA to the "Brady Bunch") have proven themselves to be hysterical, opportunistic, lying, and they misuse data. All special interest groups do it. That doesn't make it right, but it means that you have to be critical of all data sources. And using fear to promote a groups interests works quite well as has been demonstrated by all sorts of groups.

• The World's Top Ten National Parks   5 years 35 weeks ago

Hi Rick,

I didn't! But that would have been pretty serendipitous. If you do get a chance to check out Glaciares you should definitely take advantage. It is unbelievable. And if you can, take a quick flight down to Ushuaia and check out Parque Nacional Tierra del Fuego, too. Ruggedly beautiful.

As for Asia, I'm heading to Gunung Leuser NP on Sumatra in Indonesia in May to do some trekking and see the orangutans, but can't report on any others on that side of the world!

--Ashley

Yea, these zealots and their rules....I'm never without a gun, you never know when a crazed druggie or wild boar may corner you. I even shower with it duct-taped to my thigh.

Why is it that Bush tried to shove this through at the 11th hour and skip all the required steps in the process?? Because it made no sense. This stinks of working behind closed doors without public input and without considering common sense to sneak something through knowing that the vast majority of people living in this country don't feel like they must carry a gun (of any type) on their person at all times (excluding people with positions in law enforcement) let alone while visiting this countries natural or historic sites. The previous law says you can have the gun, own the ammo, take it with you, and (following federal / state rules relative to hunting) use them for hunting or target practice or leave it in your car while traveling. It also says that it's not ok FOR ANYONE to carry a concealed weapon with them to visit places like the Washington Monument, Independence Hall, etc...NOBODY should need to carry when visiting those locations. If anyone is identified with a weapon, authorities will not have to guess: law abiding citizen or someone with ill intents when dealing with the situation. This is safer than the alternative - hundreds / thousands of people carrying guns on them to be some sort of super citizen in the unlikely (based upon the odds) event that an act of aggression occured during their individual visit to one of these sites.

Screaming about the second ammendment does not over rule common sense.

• Super Volcano, The Ticking Time Bomb Beneath Yellowstone National Park   5 years 35 weeks ago

where is the volcvano using absolute location?

Haven't seen many "terroists" in National Parks lately. I wonder where Mr. Williamson has been visiting.

• Upon Further Review: Pocahontas meets Hollywood   5 years 35 weeks ago

It's really sorry that Hollywood cannot get history right. Why is it they always have to put garbage into their films? Why can't they just make a movie with just the real facts? It's really too bad our children have to learn their history through films that don't portray real life as it was.

• Katmai NP : Another Gem in Alaska's Crown   5 years 35 weeks ago

You know, if you want to see bears you are more than welcome to head out into the backcountry yourself; you will see plenty of them. National parks are not amusement parks and the various points of interest in them are not rides. If you feel like you are being cheated because bears are guaranteed to be handed to you on a platter within walking distance of the lodge, then perhaps what you interpret as a derisive view of "rich tourists" has some justification. You are attributing a lot of negative motivations to a group of people whose heads you don't have the privilege of being inside; you would do well to remember that they spend every day of the season doing crowd control on visitors who by and large come equipped with an entitlement mentality. Cut them a little slack.

If you have not found a single expert to explain to you the basis of the 50 yard rule, you have not done very much looking. Do you actually need it explained to you why you shouldn't get within 50 yards of a bear? While it is true that there are no documented *fatalities* resulting from a bear encountering a group of four or more people, there most certainly are documented "attacks" on such groups. The number four does not possess some intrinsic talismanic aura that automatically repels bears. Get four, or six, or eight people close enough to bears often enough - which is exactly what will happen as soon as rangers allow visitors to do whatever they want - and you will soon enough have a fatality from a group of four or more. More to the point, the purpose of the 50 yard rule is to prevent harassment of the bears. Please remember Brooks Camp is located inside a n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l p-a-r-k - the entire point of which is that the place belongs to the animals a lot more than the people. The rule is in place to prevent encroachment on the animals, to allow them to go about their business as unimpeded by human interference as possible. I honestly cannot believe I just wrote a paragraph explaining the efficacy of the "don't get close to bears" rule. Growing up in bear country has led me to attribute a much higher baseline of common sense to people than is deserved.

Sometimes you just have to wonder: Why would anybody want to carry a semiautomatic weapon while visiting a National Park? One can probably only hope that the procedural flaw will make it possible to overturn the rewrite...

I don't see any need to bring guns into our National Parks.
    What is the point?

• Apparent Clumsiness Claims Life Of Famed Bull Elk In Yellowstone National Park   5 years 35 weeks ago

I am sure that he had crossed that fence dozens of times in the past. Perhaps he just wasn't as nimble as he used to be? Something I can relate to. In any case, I always thought this onery old guy would go down fighting. I ran into him in the back country a few years ago near Mammoth. He appeared at the top of a hill about a hundred yards away. He saw me at the same time I saw him, and started pawing the ground and bugling. I saw the red tag and knew of his reputation. Before I knew it he charged down the hill and I had to take refuge in some deadfall. He poked at me with those massive antlers again and again until, realizing that he couldn't get to me, he backed off and bugled several times before tearing up some sage brush and a couple of saplings. Finally he returned to his harem and I made my escape. A magnificent, totally fearless animal; he was as docile as a cow when I would see him grazing peacefully during winter with arch enemy #10 in the "valley of the bulls" (an area around Wraith Falls where bull elk often winter)...the last time perhaps a month ago. A park icon, much like wolf 21m, grizzly 264 and black bear "Rosie", he will be missed.

• Through the Lens: Olympic National Park, Sol Duc Valley   5 years 35 weeks ago

I worked at SOL DUC in the summer of 2008, and let me tell you, it is a commitment to be out there in such a remote location for 6 months or more. But being the avid hiker I am, I really enjoyed myself. Looking at these pictures gives a pang to my heart. That place will always be special to me, and I will miss living the life I did while working there. But, its on to the next adventure! To anyone who hasn't been, go to the Olympics. Its unlike anything...you won't regret it...

What do we do if terriosts have guns and we do not??? Lets think about this before we give up our 2nd ammendment rights!!please use fire arms responcible and remember the life you save may be your own.

Morons. And the Brady Bunch has proven themselves to be the biggest bunch of hysterical, opportunistic, lying, misusers of data. Talk about a group that lives by promoting fear. So now, following my training and FBI background check, I have to unload and lock up my legal weapon, just to drive into a National park. That's just stupid. Once again, liberals treat the legal and law-abiding like criminals.

• Rare Motion Pictures Show Civil War Veterans at the 75th Gettysburg Battle Anniversary Reunion   5 years 35 weeks ago

Bob -

A fascinating piece of history that stemmed from an even larger historical event. Thanks for making us aware of this.

• Logan Pass Improvements Proposed at Glacier National Park   5 years 35 weeks ago

I've just scanned quickly through the EA for the project; it appears that they'll do what they can to minimize impacts on the main visitor season (including pre-assembling part of the structure off-site), but the very short time when this area is snow-free each year is a major limiting factor, and requires some work to go on all summer.

There's certainly a need for adequate restroom facilities at a major visitor use site such as Logan Pass - in the absence of such facilities, people will simply "improvise" with undesired results.

It was good to see that almost all of the proposed work is on previously disturbed areas. At this elevation, recovery of vegetation is a very slow process

• Those Dogs Could Hunt! But Not in Glacier National Park   5 years 35 weeks ago

Could they not have a fine that is at least the cost of one piece of the high tech arsenal that these "hunters" use in their pursuit to kill an animal such as this.

• NPCA, Congressman Issa Battle Over Propriety of Stimulus Funding for National Parks   5 years 35 weeks ago

Well said.

I have enjoyed watching #6 also. He was a beautiful specimen. He will surely be missed especially next fall but he has left a number of offspring of us to enjoy.

• National Park Quiz 41: Lincolnalia   5 years 35 weeks ago

When I was in the NPS we used to joke about the number of Lincoln sites and refer to some of them by these shorthand names: Lincoln Natal, Lincoln Youth, Lincoln Adult, Lincoln Statue, Lincoln Face, Lincoln Speech, Lincoln Shot, and Lincoln Death.

• Zion National Park Shuttle System To Resume March 21   5 years 35 weeks ago

When will the shuttle in Zion National Park start operating for 2009?