• Bridge to Somewhere Stirs Debate at Chattahoochee River National Recreation Area   5 years 32 weeks ago

I think the bridge should not be built for the reasons stated earlier regarding habitat destruction and soil erosion due to the bikes off trail. Don't build the bridge save the money, habitat, and topsoil. I don't see a easy compromise as the nature of mountain biking is to go "off road".

• Reader Participation Day: Are Park Entrance Fees Fair?   5 years 32 weeks ago

Kirby's correct. There's no entrance fee at Congaree National Park. There are, of course, loads of other NPS units that don't charge entrance fees. When in doubt, visit the park's website and under Quicklinks, click on "Fees and Reservations." For Congaree, you'll find this single-sentence jewel:

FREE! Congaree National Park does not charge any entrance or tour fees.

For Grand Canyon National Park, you'll find this under Fees & Reservations

$25 per Private Vehicle is the entrance fee to Grand Canyon National Park. The fee for an individual entering by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or non-commercial group is $12.00 per person. Admission is for seven days and includes entrance to both the North Rim and South Rim. No refunds are given due to inclement weather.

Grand Canyon National Park Vehicle Permit- $25.00. Admits one single, private, non-commercial vehicle and all its passengers. Organized groups are not eligible for the vehicle permit.

Grand Canyon National Park Individual Permit - $12.00/person. Admits one individual when entering by foot, bicycle, motorcycle, or non-commercial group. Individuals 15 years old and younger are admitted free of charge.

• Reader Participation Day: Are Park Entrance Fees Fair?   5 years 32 weeks ago

I don't believe Congaree has an entrance fee. At least it didn't a couple years ago.

• National Park Quiz 63: Pools   5 years 32 weeks ago

Finally! The best personal score....10 of 12. Missed the room rates at Ahwahnee and didn't know Abrams Falls are in GSM.

• Got Long Ties to Great Smoky Mountains National Park? Park Officials Want to Hear From You   5 years 32 weeks ago

My great uncle has traced his roots to Cades Cove. He's an Oliver.

• Reader Participation Day: Are Park Entrance Fees Fair?   5 years 32 weeks ago

I became a Lifetime member of the the Great Smoky Mountains Association this year. I'll help the parks anyway I can!

What parks do not have a entrance fee? Hot Springs National Park, The Great Smoky Mountains...

• Black Bear Attacks Child at Great Smoky Mountains National Park   5 years 32 weeks ago

When a bear attacks a human, you kill the bear. It's as simple as that. Yes, they are magnificant animals and I love them too, but this bear was obviously trying to eat the 8 year old boy. I bring Bear Spray and a 12 ga slug gun with me when I go into bear country. I'm not looking for an encounter with a bear and I certainly don't plan to hurt an animal, but I have an 8 year old son too and there's no way I'm not going to be prepared to protect my family.

• Let's Start a Tradition: "Thank a Ranger Day"   5 years 32 weeks ago

I thank them everyday ! Of course I depend on them everyday for medical assistance and law enforcement. They are part of our family here at the Furnace Creek Ranch in Death Valley. A finer bunch of dedicated people you will not find than the Park Service than here in Death Valley. They are always friendly and willing to help with any situation. They give us lots of information in the morning and then save our lives in the afternoon if required. If you see a Ranger here at the Ranch stop by the General Store and offer to buy them a cup of coffee or an ice cold drink. You will be rewarded with big smiles, some of the friendliest people you will ever meet and lots of information about the Park.

• Thelma & Louise Redux? Man Drives Car Off South Rim of Grand Canyon National Park   5 years 32 weeks ago

We were camped at the Mather Campground on the south rim when this happened and the NPS set off a very loud siren for about 5 minutes. It woke everyone in the caqmpground up and we were all wondering what had happened. I talked to a ranger later in the day and she said she knew of only one other instance in the last 18 years (how long she had worked there) where a vehicle went over the edge. She was amazed that an open spot had been found. She told us the other incident took place near Desert View where a man lifted his motorcycle over the rail and was setting it up so he could take his Christmas pictures and the bike fell over and tumbled off the edge, thankfully without the owner.

I just experienced Snow Canyon for the first time in June. Hiked the Hidden Pinyon Trail; didn't have time for others. It was a high point of my visit. I have to say I liked it better than Zion. So different from the Pacific NW where I hail from.

• Let's Start a Tradition: "Thank a Ranger Day"   5 years 32 weeks ago

OK, so I'll admit it here for all the world to see, I suffer from "Ranger Envy"!!

Who, in their later years, haven't said, " I sure wish I'd have been a park ranger, what a life"!! Of course that's coming from someone that has only seen the good side of their jobs. I think they are truly the unsung heros of all the parks in this great country, and a national day to thank them is way overdue. Where do I sign the petition?

At least I can thank them personally every time I come into contact with one, right?

"The world is a great book, of which they that never stir from home read only a page"--St. Augustine

• Rangers Looking for Missing Paddler at Glacier National Park   5 years 32 weeks ago

A friend and I overturned our canoe in the "30 mile" section of the Yukon River years ago. I was SITTING on my life jacket at the time--what a dumbass I was!! NEVER AGAIN, no matter how uncomfortable that thing feels on a hot humid day. We both made it out ok, found our canoe about 10 miles downstream after getting rescued by a few cargo canoists that just happened by and finished our journey.

PLEASE--always use your safety gear, your life may well (and usually does) depend on it.

My prayers go out his friends and family.

• Visitation On Record Pace in Yellowstone National Park   5 years 32 weeks ago

We went in mid-June, and while there were crowds, they were easily avoided (except at Old Faithful).

We had cancelled this trip last year when gas was at 4 a gallon.

I think some park lovers with cabin fever have decided not to wait anymore.

I can understand why those of you with this treasure in your backyard are reluctant to see the summer onslaught, but I thought the crowds were much less of a problem than we'd been lead to anticipate.

Simply by seeing many sites later in the evening, we avoided much of them. We strolled around Mammoth at dusk and had the place practically to ourselves.

It is a pity they did not wear a lifevest, or whatever they are called these days.
    See link below - the young man was found deceased.

• Latest Pastime of Yellowstone National Park Bison: Human Tossing   5 years 32 weeks ago

Jim, Bison can move rapidly and for fairly long distance. Two weeks ago we watched a day old bison calf and cow run at least two miles being chased by a grizzly. The bison won the race along the bank of the Yellowstone River in Heyden Valley. Some people literally appear to leave their brains at home when visiting Yellowstone. On the next day, I attempted to exercise some common sense by telling a bunch of people to get back in their cars as a large grizzle was coming downhill toward them and out of their line of sight. The tourist only knew that a bear had been sighted and wanted to see what was going on. They at least listened to me and got back in their cars to be rewarded by seeing the bear pass withing 25 ft of their cars. Yellowstone is, afterall, still a wild place and not tourists back yard.

No offense meant to the family of the missing boater, but WHAT were they doing in a canoe on Swiftcurrent Lake at 3 o'clock in the morning!

This comment was edited to remove a disparaging comment. -- ed.

• The Monkey Wrench Gang: Coming to a Theater Near You?   5 years 32 weeks ago

Ahh, the voice of reason! Yes, we are always disappointed or bemused by certain scenes that are in our minds that get portrayed by another’s point of view. It is inevitable. I am lost as to how you get Keanu Reeves in there though. I don't think he even knows how to use profanities! Drew?? She's too young. Let's just enjoy the book as we do and welcome the arrival of our favourite environmental heroes to the big screen. For better or worse.

• Let's Start a Tradition: "Thank a Ranger Day"   5 years 32 weeks ago

In my deepest memory, remembering Carl Sharsmith, who had the fineness qualities of the highest standards as ranger naturalist, educator, guide and friend was a prime example of gratitude given by most folks who knew him. Under the cloak of the NPS, I'm sure there were just as many as worthy as Carl Sharsmith in gratitude...if not more.

• History and Scenery in One Great Package – and Getting There is Part of the Fun   5 years 32 weeks ago

The official Dec 31, 2007 NPS Lands Office figures for Sitka NHP are:
    61.97 acres NPS fee-simple
    49.53 acres NPS less than fee
    0.6 acres other public
    0.06 acres private
    ---------------
    112.16 gross area acres.

• Let's Start a Tradition: "Thank a Ranger Day"   5 years 32 weeks ago

Thankfully I've never needed a ranger in an emergency situation, but I do appreciate that they're available. My encounters with rangers have been educational, and that makes any park visit better. I'm sure I thanked him at the time, but I'll say so again here: I still remember the ranger guide on our trip to Mesa Verde in August 2006. Ranger Mitch. In his words:

"Human intelligence hasn't changed. The only thing that's different is our technology. You came here in a car today. Good for you. They lived 700 years without a war. Good for them."

Thank you Ranger Mitch for a memorable experience.

Liz, according to the NPS and the Sitka web site, the park is 113 acres. Do you have a source for the 13 acres? I can't imagine the Park Service being 100 acres off...though stranger things happen out there;-)

• Jon Jarvis Finally Nominated to be Next Director of the National Park Service   5 years 32 weeks ago

Yep!

Jarvis isn't a hydrologist or natural resource scientist. He listens to NPS & USGS scientists when they brief him, reads & actually thinks about reports, and has the experience from seasonal interpretive ranger to protection ranger to biologist & resource manager to superintendent to regional director to understand the importance of information when he reads it. That's why he was up to speed and knew what he was talking about.

That's why I'm happy: someone who actually reads reports, and knows enough of the big NPS picture to act on them. Not just natural resource reports, but cultural resources, interpretation, visitor services, across the board. NPS is not only, or even primarily, about natural resource protection. Jarvis is a better choice for director than the best resource scientist.

• The Monkey Wrench Gang: Coming to a Theater Near You?   5 years 32 weeks ago

Well, it's a movie that should be made, and I am excited, but let's prepare ourselves for the inevitable. No movie ever does complete justice to any book; we will all experience disappointment on some level when our favorite scenes in the story look TOTALLY different than how our minds formed them through Mr. Abbey's writing. Having said that, I look forward to the film maker's interpretation of Bonnie getting her way out of that swimming hole...

Bonnie is Drew Barrymore. I like Dennehey as Doc and I can work with McConaughey as Seldom. Hayduke is a tough one. I'm thinking more Keanu Reeves than Woody Harrelson, but in an ideal world we could timetravel the guy who played Luke Duke on the original Dukes Of Hazard TEE VEE show to the present day and put him in there.

• Let's Start a Tradition: "Thank a Ranger Day"   5 years 32 weeks ago

Absolutely! In all of our National Park travels we have come across some outstanding rangers. I always make a point to write to the park superintendent praising these individuals. They deserve our thanks!!

Sitka National Historical Park is truly a wonderful place, and even those visiting Sitka via cruise ship that only have a few hours in town can enjoy the opportunity to stroll through the rainforest on the park's well-maintained trails. The park, however, is only about 13 acres, not the 113 as quoted in the article.