• Greenpeace Activists Face Slew of Charges For Their Stunt At Mount Rushmore National Memorial   5 years 31 weeks ago

"Your writing contains no facts whatsoever; it's simply an opinion-laden diatribe"

Frankly, Frank, I find that offensive. Must you insult everyone you disagree, be a jackass and talk down to people? And what happened to NPT's policy of no personal attacks?

At least other people on this site don't pretend to be know-it-alls who have perfected rhetoric, the English language, and are all-knowing.

• Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park Officials Launching Work On New Management Plan   5 years 31 weeks ago

They just finished installing about a dozen interpretive markers at Slaughter Pen. They are working on a 1 3/4 mile long trail that will take you across the property. Civil War Trails will be promoting the walking trail on their web site. Here's a clip from a Fredericksburg.com article:

Four markers in front of Slaughter Pen's farmhouse will orient arriving visitors. Yet to come there is a 6-foot-tall, four-sided kiosk that will list major donors to the $12 million campaign to preserve the battlefield, now about halfway to its goal. The Civil War Preservation Trust bought the 205-acre farm, its most expensive single effort to date, in 2005 with help from local partners and a grant from the U.S. Department of the Interior.

If you want to hike the trail now, you have to pre-register with the Civil War Preservation Trust at 800-298-7878 for safety reasons. Eventually you'll be able to just walk onto the property.

I also donated to save this property and it looks like it will be a real gem once they have completed everything.

Hope this answers your questions. See you on the battlefield!

No, azborn2001, you're not reading or not comprehending what you're reading. Let me spell it out for you:

1. The US government militarily conquered the Sioux.
    2. The US government entered into a legally binding, contractual agreement with the Sioux; it was called the Treaty of Fort Laramie (1868).
    3. The federal government made this law and then broke it when it forcibly took the Black Hills, which the law allocated to the Sioux.
    4. The Supreme Court ruled that the Government illegally seized the Black Hills.

These are the indisputable facts.

Your writing contains no facts whatsoever; it's simply an opinion-laden diatribe full of logical fallacies and completely lacking in evidence. Come back when you have something substantive.

• Jon Jarvis Questioned During His Confirmation Hearing On Snowmobiles in Yellowstone National Park   5 years 31 weeks ago

This past winter here in Wisconsin, where snowmobiling is very big, snowmobilers (note that here it's usually called a snowmobile, whereas "snow machine" refers to a machine that makes snow) killed over 100 ducks and several deer in three separate incidents. The one involving the deer (http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/37692439.html) was especially horrific. In one of the duck cases, the DNR has apparently ruled the killing of 57 ducks an accident. I don't know how that could be (he is still facing criminal charges), but it underscores that we had apparently both intentional and accidental killings of wildlife with snowmobiles. It was bad enough that snowmobiling organizations were speaking out to condemn the killings. This is why a lot of us feel like, regardless of how safe most snowmobilers are or how good the technology is as far as noise and air pollution, this activity should be restricted in one of our nation's most precious resources. It's not about "keeping people out," it's about keeping wildlife and the park safe and healthy. Especially in Yellowstone, if something happens in a remote area it can be even harder to track or discover.

Of course the senator's going to want a snowmobile-friendly NPS director. That's not surprising. To his credit, though, Sen. Barrasso did push through legislation to block oil and gas leasing on 1.2 million acres of the Wyoming Range in southwestern Wyoming.

That said, there was a Newsweek column a week or so ago about Supreme Court justice nominee Sonia Sotomayor that suggested confirmation hearings be done away with because the senators were merely trying to hop atop the soap box to stroke their constituents, while the nominees have been deftly schooled not to reveal much of anything. Sounds like a good suggestion, no?

Sen. Barrasso is just like any other bought politician seeing no other choice but the one sending money my way. If scientists & the public point to a certain limit, who are you to deny that?

I knew this would get a response. The sioux did not live by our laws. did you READ what i said? When you conquer and control the land YOU make the laws. Whether you like it or not the sioux lost their battle to control what they had. They no longer make the law, unless they go through avenues that have been allowed now that they do have to abide by u.s. law. these are facts,like it or not. All of the indian tribes have much more than they would have had if some other invading force would have dealt with them. would you have rather had the japanese? or germans? i doubt you would be alive to say anything. it might not be right, but this is where we are. deal with the situation in a reasonable, legal way or buy a rifle and go psycho.

I don't care for the politics of Greenpeace (or their fear of that grand hoax which is currently known as "climate change") but do applaud their total disregard for the sacredness of four dead politicians carved in granite and for a pretty dramatic act of civil disobedience on that hideous monstrosity of state worship called Mt. Rushmore. Any kind of dishonor that can be bestowed upon this comical collection of farcical busts is all right with me. The day that this insult to our collective intelligence is blown to smithereens will be a red letter day in American history.

As for anarchy, we need a lot more of it.

As usual I'm in complete agreement with Frank C. Big surprise, huh?

"You are condemning the actions of one society for its treatment of another."

No. I am condemning the federal government for breaking the law.

If you introduced this "history of warring with neighbors" in a court of law, it would be dismissed as irrelevant. Take for instance the scenario I described above where after a legal dispute has been settled, I find out the person with whom I had the dispute has a very valuable car and I take it by force. Whether or not that person got along with his neighbors has no relevance to the fact that I broke a legally binding document and took the car anyway. Also irrelevant to this legal discussion is the question "who owned the lands before the Lakota?" In a court of law, that would also be thrown out because the Lakota were the rightful owners when the federal government signed the treaty. In fact, the Supreme Court ruled that the lands were illegally taken. The rest is moot.

These red herrings attempt to absolve the government of theft. They cannot.

"Whoa, Frank...you're advocating anarchy, even in Wiki's third definition? Really? I defy you to come up with one example of anarchy anywhere that fits this definition."

Here are several historical examples of anarchy without chaos. If you'd read the Wikipedia article, you would have found several, including the Icelandic Commonwealth (930 to 1262).

Even if the land reverts to its rightful owners, there would be governance (i.e., tribal eldership), NOT an anarchic condition.

That's debatable, but until then, any laws made by the federal government are invalid. I call on any group to practice civil disobedience at Mount Rushmore. While I don't agree with Greenpeace's politics, I applaud their acts of civil disobedience.

No. If I take your property by power, force, coercion, your property LEGALLY is not mine. We supposedly have the rule of law in this country. Why should the federal government be exempted? All federal, non-private land in the Black Hills, including Mt. Rushmore, should be returned immediately to the Sioux.

This type of thing has been going on since man has been on the planet. The fact of it is, whoever had the power to take land and control it are the ones who own it. It was the same with the lakota or any other race on our planet. Alot of conquering armies would have eliminated or enslaved the conquered. I'm fairly sure that someone will say that the indian tribes were enslaved,or still are. Would those same people prefer what the lakota would have done if they had won the battle? It would not have been a birthday party. Living in the long gone past is not going to change the present. Deal with the present situation and try and change it if you don't like it.

• Happy Birthday to the National Park Service Arrowhead Emblem   5 years 31 weeks ago

Dear Sirs

I am from Canada, and have enjoyed travelling and visiting many of the National Parks, (just came back from an 8 day excursion in the Grand Canyon), and am especially enjoying the Passport Stamp Program! What a great idea.

The reason for my e-mail to yourself is that a good friend of mine, who is a Geologist, and is so in love with the National Parks, and all the history, etc., and has made 12 visits to the Grand Canyon alone, and I might add is a Junior Park Ranger and directly responsible for my visits to many of the parks, has a very strong desire to own a Park Ranger Hat with the Arrowhead Emblem, particularly the Emblem.

I am hoping that you would be able to help me in acquiring a hat for her with the emblem or at least the emblem. She has a birthday coming up and I would so love to surprise her.

If you can help me in anyway at all I would greatly appreciate it.

• How To Avoid A Bear Attack in the Great Outdoors, The Cartoon   5 years 31 weeks ago

@ Gregg: The animation was made by Randy Boyum of Denver, CO. You can reach him at: RandomAnimation(at)aol(dot)com

With just a lttle work this could not only be a very funny video, but very accurate and a useful teaching tool. As head of the Interagency Grizzly Bear Committee Information & Education Committee I would love to work with whoever made this to create another version that is totally accurate.

• By the Numbers: Death Valley Weather   5 years 31 weeks ago

A stiff breeze sure won't do you any good when it gets that hot. Normal skin temperature is 91 degrees, plus or minus about two degrees, so any time the ambient air temperature is hotter than that, the breeze will add heat to your body. Because summer evaporation rates are extremely high at Furnace Creek (as you've pointed out), evaporative cooling can work very well. Comfort-wise, it'd make more sense to stay out of the pool and just use the pool water to soak your clothing and a towel-turban for your head. The downside is that wet fabric dries amazingly fast in the hot breeze, so keeping that stuff wet will keep you busier than a one-armed paper hanger.

Hi, Although we live in Green Bay, Wi, we are often in the Fredericksburg area as our daughter and family live there....actually in Spotsylvania county. Are there any immediate plans for the Slaughter Pen Farm area which we pass every time we venture into downtown. We donated to the purchase of that land and wonder what the plans are for the future. We will not be out east for any of your meetings, but are interested in the area and preservation in general. Thanks, John and Sally Straub

• By the Numbers: Death Valley Weather   5 years 31 weeks ago

My wife and I were in Death Valley last July (2008). When we got to the hotel at Furnace Creek our car's thermometer read 122 degrees. A couple of observations:
    - There was a pretty stiff breeze which we thought would be a good thing. Instead, having 122 degree air blowing on you is like leaning over a hot oven and opening the door. Takes a little getting used to.
    - Swimming in the pool at the hotel was like getting in a hot tub. It was only refreshing for the 20 seconds that it took the water to dry off you after getting out.
    - When we hiked the Mesquite Flat Sand Dunes at 5:45am it was still 90 degrees
    - The place is beautiful, remarkable, stunning, interesting, etc and if your car is in any kind of normal state of repair you should not have problems visiting in the summer. Just bring a bunch of water and plan to do any hiking in the early morning.

It is an unforgettable place to visit and if I lived closer I would go back in a heartbeat.

• By the Numbers: Death Valley Weather   5 years 31 weeks ago

And this is why I will be visiting Death Valley in the late fall or early spring. "High hundred teens" just shouldn't be a phrase used ot refer to weather. Waaaaayyyyyy too hot!

Frank,

Aren't you out of red herring cards yet?;-)

I'd disagree that my question was a red herring. You are condemning the actions of one society for its treatment of another. And yet, the Lakota have their own history of warring with their neighbors. Plus, as Skihde put it, "who owned the lands before the Lakota? Should the land therefore belong to them?"

I think my question is valid in light of the issues you raised regarding the Treaty of 1868, and to better understand your thinking. If you dismiss/ignore the Lakota's treatment of their peers, how can you hold the 19th century U.S. government to a higher standard?

Now, Bob's question could truly be viewed as a red herring to this discussion.

Speaking of AIM, isn't Leonard Peltier about due for parole?

Whoa, Frank...you're advocating anarchy, even in Wiki's third definition? Really? I defy you to come up with one example of anarchy anywhere that fits this definition. People are too selfish for anarchy as defined here to work. What you will get is the first or second definitions--just look at Mogadishu. If each "person has absolute liberty," then we degrade into situational ethics, and I think that "(without the implication of disorder)" is impossible. Otherwise, you have to acknowledge that there are agreed-upon laws, and once you do that, then someone must enforce the laws, and that is a form of governance.

However, I agree with your point that the U.S.'s treatment of Native Americans is abysmal, and that we don't honor our treaties with them is unconscionable. But then...who owned the lands before the Lakota? Should the land therefore belong to them?

Frank C, as a Native American that is a topic I don't get started on. My mother marched with AIM in her youth and would have been right up there on Rushmore demonstrating if she didn't have a young child.
    Ranger Holly

Anonymous, apparently my point didn't come across as clearly as I meant it to. What I was getting at is yes, they broke the law and went into a closed area as many, many visitors do every single day. I was trying to say they don't deserve all the attention they are getting because to me it was no different than the person who goes past the closed sign to get a better picture. I said I could understand why they chose that spot to demonstrate but I didn't condone them breaking the law.

There were some people commenting on resource damage caused by greenpeaace and I was trying to compare it to what the NPS has done up there and they didn't cause that much damage.

Didn't mean to cause such an uproar! Just didn't word it well I guess

Ranger Holly

Oups! The incomplete sentence should have been: One of their earliest activists, the owner of the yacht "Vega" was aptly named David (McTaggert) and that is their strategy ever since: They take up against the big guys, the guys in uniforms, the guys with guns and the ones who make laws.

• Errant Boater Hits Bridge, Forcing Closure of a Section of the Colonial Parkway   5 years 31 weeks ago

As far as I can tell, authorities haven't said what kind of boat they are looking for. The boat that was responsible for this hit-and-run must have been fairly substantially built to have done the damage described in news reports. The direct hit on the bridge piling shattered the concrete, exposing bare rebar.

How big a boat are we talking? I would imagine it would have to be rather significant in size.