• National Park Quiz 54: Authors   5 years 31 weeks ago

Great quiz!

Ed Abbey did time at Arches National Monument, well before it was declared a park in the 1970s.

• National Park Quiz 54: Authors   5 years 31 weeks ago

A small correction to the answer to Q1: Ed Abbey did not serve as a ranger at Arches National Park, he served at Arches National Monument. Arches did not receive the Park designation until some years after Abbey's service, during which he penned the classic, "Desert Solitaire." No doubt he'd be appalled at the extent of paved public access now available in his beloved inspiration.

• Senate Loads Credit Card Bill With Amendment to Allow Loaded Weapons in National Parks   5 years 31 weeks ago

Actually Kurt, that is good point. If I was planning a hunting trip I may choose to camp in adjoining NPS campground and travel with the rifles to the National Forest.

It is amazing that Senators are above the law when they are the lawmakers and that is what they were doing. I understand disagreement with the law change but to declare they are acting above the law is silly. A judge does not make law. The judge was going by the law and if the lawmakers agree that that is not the policy they wanted they can change the law.

I agree that less law is better and a lot of laws are poorly written. But I have been for allowing unrestricted carry for all non criminals, that means open carry if a person chooses to do so.

The Bush administration went with the lesser regulation change to restrict only to CCW holders but that scared NPS hysterics and they may get a totally non rstricted aw instead.

Beside why does a department had the ability to regulate a constitutional right? If this restricion was challenegd on 2a grounds the federal government could lose any ability to regulate guns on federal lands. That get back to "shall not infringe " language which is very strong.

Anonymous -

Though it is true that the original rule spoke ONLY to "concealed" carry, Senator Coburn's amendment makes NO SUCH DISTINCTION according to the version I read this morning. It is simply "carry."

Don't overlook the fact that more than a few national parks are surrounded by national forests, where hunting is allowed. If indeed Sen. Coburn's amendment would allow the carrying of rifles in parks, would hunters look to some park campgrounds as base camps they could use for heading off into sections of national forest that are not otherwise easily reached?

Come on and use common sense. The most common reason to carry a rifle slung is for hunting or predator control and that is not allowed on NPS land. Most people do not want to carry extra weight without a good cause. There is a big differnce between a handgun and a rifle. For those who carry concealed for defense regulary will carry concealed everywher becase that is habit. carrying a ridle unless in battle i snot a habit for people in the US. The big reason that the military went to carbines is weight. A rif;e will wigh more and a pain to carry all the time.

The only reason I could see for a person to carry a rifle is to cause PSH in all the other nambies for pure shock value. That is rude and but gets irrestible the more we hear that CCW holders are criminaly minded as an JIm D said that CCW holders are violantly disposed without any evidence. Just pure slander.

• Rescue of Injured Climber from Remote Site in Rocky Mountain National Park   5 years 31 weeks ago

Great Job RMNP Staff, thats why it's one of the best in the system

• Mountain Life To be Celebrated In Festival at Great Smoky Mountains National Park   5 years 31 weeks ago

This Saturday, the 16th

Sorry John, but nuts are ALREADY carrying concealed weapons in parks. What's being missed here is that we are talking about "concealed carry". The over inflated comments about carrying rifles on hikes is a joke. I wonder how many relatives of the students killed in the University of Virginia shootings had wished that concealed carry permits were allowed on campus.

What is the date for this event?

• Yellowstone Treasures   5 years 31 weeks ago

The picture of Old Faithful brings up that its in the news today. Six people have been cited for walking onto Old Faithful; two of them for having a piece of it (apparently), two for urinating into the cone. There were webshot pictures taken days before this appeared in the news, and I think that's how they got caught. Those are at http://forums.yellowstone.net//viewtopic.php?f=7&t=1473. There's a brief article http://www.casperstartribune.net/articles/2009/05/13/news/wyoming/1b5c40e113c14a15872575b500063823.txt.

I hate the fact that a congressman can slip a totally unrelated item into a bill that is going to almost surely pass. It is time this was changed.

That is unless it is something you approve of, like money for acquiring park land that has been tacked onto a highway bill. It seems that outrage at the appropriations system is reserved for what we disapprove of, but when this same corrupt and inept process produces results we like many tend to exclaim that "well a win is a win even if it had to get done through the backdoor of an unrelated bill". The ends suddenly seem to justify the means when you're winning.

The loathsome pirates in DC love nothing better than to divide and conquer us by using their ill-gotten booty to keep us fighting each other over who gets a slice of what. That's democracy in action. The Founding Fathers didn't define this sort of government as mob rule for nothing.

John Lison

I volunteer with the NPS and I have spent the last two summers and am now in a NPS campground. I keep my own weapon unloaded and locked up in my RV even though only my dog is there when I'm not. I just cannot imagine why anyone would feel so threatened so as to want a loaded gun in a National Park. But I am feeling threatened if some of the nuts that are out there are allowed to carry CONCEALED weapons into the Parks. If the NRA and gunfreaks have to have weapons I hope that they will amend this bill to require the weapons be carried prominently and on display, maybe with big signs that say something like" I'm scared of the squirrels and bears so I carry a 44 magnum" Steer clear of me!

If some bozo shows up at one of my talks, armed to the hilt , I'm gone. I'm a volunteer and don't intend to be a willing target of these nutcases. Let them shoot each other in some secluded spot of the Park. I don't want criticism of my fireside talks puncuateted by lead if somebody doesn't like what I say.

Then I wonder about the effect on all those darling kids who come to our Parks and upon whose faces I regularly see smiles of great wonderment and delight at our Parks when they spot a Rambo wannabe trooping around with a AK-47 (modified to be legal of course). Give it a rest gun guys. Call off the dogs and let this dog die the death it deserves.

Why is that an ignorant statement? Why wouldn't people with rifles carry them on programs? People with rifles are common (and legal) in national forests and BLM land - many that border national parks. Now, they can simply continue to bring them into the park and on hikes, trails, campfire programs, and the like. I understand that not everyone who owns a gun is a nut, but at least now, if someone shows up at a children's program with a gun, the NPS can take action to protect children. If this law passes, the person with the rifle at the program is doing nothing wrong until he starts firing. Then it's too late.

The most ignorant statement I've read in a while: ""As a result, individuals could attend ranger-led hikes and campfire programs with their rifles at Yellowstone National Park, Shenandoah National Park, Grand Canyon National Park, and other national park treasures across the country."

You will find very few conceal carry permit holders displaying a weapon and will never see a rifle. Folks, I would be more concerned with the non-conceal carry people that already carry firearm's into national parks. Suicidal people and wanted felons are a fine example of the non-conceal gun toters that already flock to our national park.

The park I visit the most has a lot of children's programs and school programs. Imagine the scene: a group of children are attending a school program in the park and standing next to them are people with rifles and shotguns. Do Senators really want this?

Just what we need: a bunch of violence-predisposed people carrying guns in our national parks, which historically are among the safest places in the entire country. Facts clearly indicate there is no need for this. As the previous person wrote, I will feel much less safe if this becomes law. I have no problem with responsible gun owners. But the reality is I am far, far more likely to encounter an IRRESPONSIBLE gun owner (of whom there are legion, based on the daily stories of previously "law-abiding citizens" who decided to shoot someone for no reason) than I am to encounter a bear or other danger requiring a firearm. There simply aren't many cases where you'd need a gun in a national park, and I'd much rather take my chances with the wildlife than shoot-first-ask-questions-later gun lovers. If the good Senator Coburn is so eager to have the entire nation armed at all times, when is he going to push a law that allows tourists to carry guns into the Senate?

Dang, this is exactly the kind of fun loving atmosphere that I love. Beautiful country, good people and music to stomp to.

• National Park Quiz 54: Authors   5 years 31 weeks ago

Yahoo!! I am "pretty darn good" this week. I missed 2,3,6.9. You are a tough quiz master, Bob. Have you done one on feature films that use parks as part of the scenes?

Rick Smith

Well, I certainly WON'T feel as safe on hikes now............I will face the dangers of nature over the dangers of man anytime !

It's about time the legislaters passed this. As a retired Law Enforcement officer of 27 years I know how much safer your family will be. You cannot always count on a Ranger or Park official being around when needed. Especially with todays economy and budget cuts. Carrying a rifle on a ranger led hike or campfire is ridiculous. It's about carrying a handgun the same as many people do in a responsible way in just about every state in America now.

• Some Sure Signs of Spring at Denali National Park and Preserve   5 years 31 weeks ago

I was hiking past Teklanika last week. It was very beautiful and peaceful--not another person seen the whole three hours out. It is nice to get into the park before the buses start running. Lots of signs of moose and wolves in the Igloo forest area. The ptarmigan are staking territories and calling mates and the hares and getting gray. Spring is a great awakening time in the park. Thanks for the updates.

• Roads and Facilities Opening at Mount Rainier National Park   5 years 31 weeks ago

It's obvious you were not there today May 12th, bathrooms in the new Paradise VC are having issues. Large amount of moisture adds more snow. Mountain did not come out.

• National Park Quiz 40: Mission 66   5 years 31 weeks ago

Great quiz on Mission 66! If anyone out there would like to see more photographs of the buildings from this period, you can visit my website at www.mission66.com, which I started in 1996 and still maintain today. I also maintain a page on Gettysburg at www.mission66.com/cyclorama.