• Bush Administration's Haste Could Doom New Gun Rules In National Parks   5 years 31 weeks ago

Haven't seen many "terroists" in National Parks lately. I wonder where Mr. Williamson has been visiting.

• Upon Further Review: Pocahontas meets Hollywood   5 years 31 weeks ago

It's really sorry that Hollywood cannot get history right. Why is it they always have to put garbage into their films? Why can't they just make a movie with just the real facts? It's really too bad our children have to learn their history through films that don't portray real life as it was.

• Katmai NP : Another Gem in Alaska's Crown   5 years 31 weeks ago

You know, if you want to see bears you are more than welcome to head out into the backcountry yourself; you will see plenty of them. National parks are not amusement parks and the various points of interest in them are not rides. If you feel like you are being cheated because bears are guaranteed to be handed to you on a platter within walking distance of the lodge, then perhaps what you interpret as a derisive view of "rich tourists" has some justification. You are attributing a lot of negative motivations to a group of people whose heads you don't have the privilege of being inside; you would do well to remember that they spend every day of the season doing crowd control on visitors who by and large come equipped with an entitlement mentality. Cut them a little slack.

If you have not found a single expert to explain to you the basis of the 50 yard rule, you have not done very much looking. Do you actually need it explained to you why you shouldn't get within 50 yards of a bear? While it is true that there are no documented *fatalities* resulting from a bear encountering a group of four or more people, there most certainly are documented "attacks" on such groups. The number four does not possess some intrinsic talismanic aura that automatically repels bears. Get four, or six, or eight people close enough to bears often enough - which is exactly what will happen as soon as rangers allow visitors to do whatever they want - and you will soon enough have a fatality from a group of four or more. More to the point, the purpose of the 50 yard rule is to prevent harassment of the bears. Please remember Brooks Camp is located inside a n-a-t-i-o-n-a-l p-a-r-k - the entire point of which is that the place belongs to the animals a lot more than the people. The rule is in place to prevent encroachment on the animals, to allow them to go about their business as unimpeded by human interference as possible. I honestly cannot believe I just wrote a paragraph explaining the efficacy of the "don't get close to bears" rule. Growing up in bear country has led me to attribute a much higher baseline of common sense to people than is deserved.

Sometimes you just have to wonder: Why would anybody want to carry a semiautomatic weapon while visiting a National Park? One can probably only hope that the procedural flaw will make it possible to overturn the rewrite...

I don't see any need to bring guns into our National Parks.
    What is the point?

• Apparent Clumsiness Claims Life Of Famed Bull Elk In Yellowstone National Park   5 years 31 weeks ago

I am sure that he had crossed that fence dozens of times in the past. Perhaps he just wasn't as nimble as he used to be? Something I can relate to. In any case, I always thought this onery old guy would go down fighting. I ran into him in the back country a few years ago near Mammoth. He appeared at the top of a hill about a hundred yards away. He saw me at the same time I saw him, and started pawing the ground and bugling. I saw the red tag and knew of his reputation. Before I knew it he charged down the hill and I had to take refuge in some deadfall. He poked at me with those massive antlers again and again until, realizing that he couldn't get to me, he backed off and bugled several times before tearing up some sage brush and a couple of saplings. Finally he returned to his harem and I made my escape. A magnificent, totally fearless animal; he was as docile as a cow when I would see him grazing peacefully during winter with arch enemy #10 in the "valley of the bulls" (an area around Wraith Falls where bull elk often winter)...the last time perhaps a month ago. A park icon, much like wolf 21m, grizzly 264 and black bear "Rosie", he will be missed.

• Through the Lens: Olympic National Park, Sol Duc Valley   5 years 31 weeks ago

I worked at SOL DUC in the summer of 2008, and let me tell you, it is a commitment to be out there in such a remote location for 6 months or more. But being the avid hiker I am, I really enjoyed myself. Looking at these pictures gives a pang to my heart. That place will always be special to me, and I will miss living the life I did while working there. But, its on to the next adventure! To anyone who hasn't been, go to the Olympics. Its unlike anything...you won't regret it...

What do we do if terriosts have guns and we do not??? Lets think about this before we give up our 2nd ammendment rights!!please use fire arms responcible and remember the life you save may be your own.

Morons. And the Brady Bunch has proven themselves to be the biggest bunch of hysterical, opportunistic, lying, misusers of data. Talk about a group that lives by promoting fear. So now, following my training and FBI background check, I have to unload and lock up my legal weapon, just to drive into a National park. That's just stupid. Once again, liberals treat the legal and law-abiding like criminals.

• Rare Motion Pictures Show Civil War Veterans at the 75th Gettysburg Battle Anniversary Reunion   5 years 31 weeks ago

Bob -

A fascinating piece of history that stemmed from an even larger historical event. Thanks for making us aware of this.

• Logan Pass Improvements Proposed at Glacier National Park   5 years 31 weeks ago

I've just scanned quickly through the EA for the project; it appears that they'll do what they can to minimize impacts on the main visitor season (including pre-assembling part of the structure off-site), but the very short time when this area is snow-free each year is a major limiting factor, and requires some work to go on all summer.

There's certainly a need for adequate restroom facilities at a major visitor use site such as Logan Pass - in the absence of such facilities, people will simply "improvise" with undesired results.

It was good to see that almost all of the proposed work is on previously disturbed areas. At this elevation, recovery of vegetation is a very slow process

• Those Dogs Could Hunt! But Not in Glacier National Park   5 years 31 weeks ago

Could they not have a fine that is at least the cost of one piece of the high tech arsenal that these "hunters" use in their pursuit to kill an animal such as this.

• NPCA, Congressman Issa Battle Over Propriety of Stimulus Funding for National Parks   5 years 31 weeks ago

Well said.

I have enjoyed watching #6 also. He was a beautiful specimen. He will surely be missed especially next fall but he has left a number of offspring of us to enjoy.

• National Park Quiz 41: Lincolnalia   5 years 31 weeks ago

When I was in the NPS we used to joke about the number of Lincoln sites and refer to some of them by these shorthand names: Lincoln Natal, Lincoln Youth, Lincoln Adult, Lincoln Statue, Lincoln Face, Lincoln Speech, Lincoln Shot, and Lincoln Death.

• Zion National Park Shuttle System To Resume March 21   5 years 31 weeks ago

When will the shuttle in Zion National Park start operating for 2009?

• Lincoln: The Biography of a Writer   5 years 31 weeks ago

Good job, Jeff. Now that 16,000 Lincoln books have been written, it's getting kind of tough to know whether number 16,001 or 16,002 have anything new to tell us about this complex man. Your review of Kaplan's book encourages me to read it, and I thank you for that.

• National Park Quiz 41: Lincolnalia   5 years 31 weeks ago

Barky, as the grading key clearly states, seven correct answers is "pretty darn good." It's great that you're setting the bar high for yourself, but there's no reason to beat yourself up for a less than perfect performance. Anyway, it's time to psyche yourself up for next week's quiz, which just might possibly deal with rocks and minerals.

I sent this to Rep. Issa yesterday:

Dear Rep. Issa--

It is time to stop linking the sections of the stimulus bill related to the National Park Service to some vague accusations of improper lobbying on the part of Craig Obery with his father. I have known Craig for 20 years and I know he never lobbies his father on items of interest to the National Parks Conservation Association. If you are opposed to those sections, say so, but don't try to sully the reputations of either Craig or his father, Rep. Obey.

Rick Smith

Thanks for the write-up of Gettysburg and the video footage. I remember visiting the battlefield as a kid and even then it moved me tremendously. Of course playing on Big and Little Roundtop was also a lot of fun. Went back as an adult and the effect was the same.

What happened at Gettysburg can be described as history, re-enacted, and even made into a Hollywood movie or two. If it's not the most important event in our nations history, it ranks up there. Thanks for reminding us that real people were actually there when it all happened.

You go Darrell!
    Uh-huh. Little bit of conflict of interest, I would say...oh, Obey's a DEMOCRAT...they don't do such things! LOL.
    How Obey gets re-elected nobody in WI knows.

I know I had seen that elk. What a sad end.

• National Park Quiz 41: Lincolnalia   5 years 31 weeks ago

Bah, 7 out of 12. I should have done better than that.

My travels through the National Park System: americaincontext.com

Wow. It's about time! The facilities at Logan Pass are barely better than some of the backcountry pit toilets! (just kidding, of course... well, at least the backcountry toilets have views from their seats)...

Just found this site and really love it. Already bookmarked and will be making regular stops back.

Any idea how and when they plan on renovating it? Will the renovations be done before Logan Pass is open to visitors or will it be going on during tourist season?

~Perry