• Supreme Court Hears Arguments Over Cross at Mojave National Preserve   5 years 33 weeks ago

I am 23 years old and I practice no religion and this story just pisses me off! Buono should ... be ashamed. I'm glad he was a former NPS employee; who knows what else he would have tried to change or remove. I have realized that it is the people who try to sue over religious intolerance that are the most insecure in their beliefs and religion. If they were truly happy and content with what they believed then they would not be "offended" so easily by other religions. This cross was put up in 1934. That makes it historical and it should in no way be removed and I bet our veterans of WWI are turning over in their graves at what has happened to this country....to take that down would mean they died in vain!!! What's next people??? Are we going to spend more money this country doesn't have on trying to remove "IN GOD WE TRUST" off the back of our money??? This is ridiculous!

This comment was edited. While we appreciate all comments, we also try to toe the line on decency and respect for views and won't hesitate to use the delete button when those lines are crossed. It's not hard to make your point without being insulting. -- Ed.

If the cross was there when the park became a national preserve, it should stay there. It is part of our national heritage. Just look around people, and learn to appreciate our diversity that makes us a better nation. Get over it, will ya!

GOD BLESS US ALL AND BE THANKFULL THAT WE HAVE THIS BEAUTIFULL LAND. (so i can't spell )

• National Park Mystery Photo 14: You Might Know What This Is, But Where is It?   5 years 33 weeks ago

Coral muyshroom tjv

Jan,

A moral and ethical society need not be a religious society. While it is true that many morals, norms, and values have been passed down through religions, that is not and should not be relied upon as the official means. Additionally, where did you hear that the recession was caused by people not being christians!? And by the way, the "official" standard of christian religion has, and continues to change as it adjusts to an ever changing society. So in a sense, religious beliefs are voted on and changed all the time. For proof look at how many different flavors christian churches there are around the world. Would just one be picked to be the real one or would they all be represented? If you really wanted stability and predictability maybe shoot for something like Catholicism or Buddhism.... Religion is far too personal for the government to become involved in. The government should work to show that it is officially neutral when it comes to beliefs (or disbelief) in a higher power.

-A. Nony-Mous

I don't really have an opinion either way on whether or not the cross should go down, but the reading of more details on the case are interesting.

It appears rather clear that the land was transferred to the VFW to get around the currently standing court order mandating that the cross come down. If it's federal land it comes down. The question before the court is whether or not the transfer was a legal means of getting around the court order and if it's legal for the federal government to transfer land with the implied purpose of erecting or maintaining a religious symbol. Part of it was that there were no competitive bids and that the VFW was clearly given preferential treatment in the land swap. Apparently in arguments, the primary concern seems to be about the legality of the transfer and Frank Buono's standing to protest the transfer.

I'd note that part of the arguments involved discussions about national cemeteries. I've actually been in the San Francisco National Cemetery, which is in Golden Gate National Recreation Area as part of the Presidio of San Francisco. I think they get around some of the thorny issues of having crosses on grave markers or memorial by actually allowing different religious symbols to be displayed. The occasional grave marker does have a Star of David or no religious symbol at all.

In addition, some sources have noted that Frank Buono is a practicing Catholic.

• Oh Boy! The Prospect Hotel! What Room Will I Be Staying In?   5 years 33 weeks ago

Ha, very good. :)

I don't believe in the separation of Church and state. Christianity and all its values should be the official religion of the United States and Europe, too, with tolerance for all the religions of others, including those who have migrated legally and illegally to our shores. Any other position is just contradictory and has resulted in an unavoidable state atheism and failure of our systems across the board, but most notably recently, in our economic platform. Our word is no longer our bond, because we have no 'official' standard outside of those we can vote to change at any time. Not good enough, not strong enough. Let India do the same. Let the Islamic countries do the same.

Any tribute to a veteran who has fought to keep this country free is fine with me.

Ed: This comment was edited.

• Lodging in the Parks: Tioga Pass Resort   5 years 33 weeks ago

When I worked in Tuolumne in the 70's, the resort was famous for its pies. I am glad that Kurt says that they are still good.

Rick Smith

• Reader Participation Survey: Should Hunters Be Used to Manage National Park Wildlife?   5 years 33 weeks ago

RMNP Lover,

The fences were a surprise to me as well. I live ~ 45 minutes from RMNP and spend a LOT of time there. The fences were placed around some aspen habitat in Moraine Park and also near Beaver Meadows (Others?), areas of winter concentration for the elk. If you noticed, the aspen in these areas get pounded by elk in the winter, as they eat the outer layer of bark, hence the tree appear to have black trunks. For the size and location of the park, there are actually very few large aspen stands. We really need a decent fire to open up areas.

Also, the cost of these fences has to be incredibly high. Some of the best fencing I have ever seen!

The meat from the elk taken in RMNP went to homeless shelters and those less fortunate. The hunters are not allowed to take any with them, at least that is what was stated by Wildlife officials this weekned at Elk Fest in Estes.

for what its worth, Brian's #3 is not accurate.

It was federal land (but not NPS) when the first cross was erected by a private party.

The congressional transfer to VFW (not American Legion) was not "so that they could do what they want with it". The condition is that if they don't keep the cross up and keep it a memorial to WW1 veterans, the land reverts to federal ownership.

Ranger Holly: I believe that we can say its a cross to celebrate the first Sunday after the first full moon after the March equinox.

I've seen many cemeteries and gravesites in Shenandoah and the Great Smokies, both ancient and recent. Most have religious symbols or script on them. I don't know of anyone who is "offended" by them. This country was founded on the premise of freedom of religion, and we would be wise to respect it. Those who claim offense at "pagan" names for landmarks should be reminded of what Jesus said about wearing one's religion on his sleeve. I don't think the Supremes will be fooled by phony piety either. Mr. Buono should have paid more attention to his job. This whole thing is really very silly.

Having said all that, if I ever make it to a Hawaii NP I will be sure to leave an offering to Pele. It's my opinion this country needs all the help it can get!

PEOPLE you all have way too much time on your hands !! go volunteer too feed the hungry or something worth while..

I have been traveling to RMNP for a number of years in September for a couple reasons, one being the elk and another being the aspen. Much to my dismay this September we saw a new addition to the park – FENCES. Yes fences. Can you imagine how labor intensive and the financial impact these fences are creating? The reason I would assume is an attempt to protect habitat from elk. I have noticed a troubling decline in the park over the last couple of years. Between the beetles devouring the pine trees and the increasing elk population over grazing something needs to be done soon. I am a hunter and I would pay to be entered in to some type of lottery generating much need revenue. A well supervised hunt in January or February would be a win win for everybody. BUT, if that is not a possibility then I believe sharpshooters should be utilized. It seems pretty simple to me – generate money to reduce the herd and improve the park or spend money to reduce the herd and improve the park.

I think that the Supreme Court should not side with the man in this case for a couple of reasons:

1. The cross is symbolic and isn't necessarily of major religious importance. If a Buddhist did go to the park in 1934 and put up a Buddhist memorial, nobody would complain today really. It would have been there 75 years now, and frankly it's just a symbol. If it was a Buddhist monument commemorating war veterans, nobody would really care about the religion part. They'd just care about them commemorating war veterans.

2. Though the cross does represent Christianity, it does not exclude other religions from what I've seen in this case. The American Legion will recognize all fallen soldiers, not just Christian ones. All people, regardless of religion, are welcome in the park to look at the memorial and do whatever they want. It's just a cross, nobody's forcing a religion on the people.

3. The Federal Government wasn't really involved in my opinion in the placing of the cross. The land was given by the government to the American Legion, a private organization of veterans, so that they could do what they want with it. The American Legion decided to put up a cross, big deal! It's not like the Federal Government themselves is putting the cross there as a religious symbol. If the American Legion can't put a cross up, then a senator shouldn't be able to keep a Bible in display in his office because it's Federal Land that he's on. I just don't see how the Federal Government is really directly involved.

4. On it directly dealing with the First Amendment, I don't believe it violates that. The first part of the Amendment says, "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof." Obviously they're not making a law establishing a religion, they're just putting a religion's symbol up. That's not a law. So does it "prohibit the free exercise thereof"? I believe that putting up a Christian symbol does not violate that part of the Amendment. I know that the Buddhist guy has a good argument that they did prohibit the free exercise thereof of Buddhism by denying their right to put up a memorial, but unless he can prove they discriminated against him because of the memorial's religion, I don't think he has a case. And even if they did discriminate against him because of that, obviously he should have the right to put up a Buddhist memorial, but the Christians should have a right to keep theirs up to.

I find it a bit funny that the guy who brought the case to the Supreme Court is saying that the cross violated the establishment part of the Amendment, but he's still OK with keeping both the Buddhist and Christian memorial up: But it's not OK to have just the Christian one up.

The most offensive people are those who make claims of being offended by symbols of others' religions. Buono has the freedom to look away from anything he finds offensive and should not be allowed to impede on others' freedom of expression in this manner.

I am in favor of well managed hunts to help control population. Also the use of the meat from those animals, if not to feed the hunter's families , then to be given to those who are in need of food. There will always be those who will be poor sportsmen but with proper management , it could be kept to a minimum. I have seen the result of animals who were not controlled and overpopulated their own environment. Starvation and illness is a horrible end. Well managed hunts are an excellent solution to the potential problem of overpopulation and a great way to help supply needed food to those who are in need.

• What Bird is This?   5 years 33 weeks ago

this is a Mottled duck, they are often mistaken for mallards or black ducks. It is the least numerous duck in north america

Please take down the cross, to allow others to place their symbols there invites spaceship memorials from scientology people etc. And that would be silliness. However, leave the native americans to practice their historical ways. They were here before this load of paper pushing was thought up. In place of the cross there can be a flag flown, or a statue of a large eagle flying (as long as the blue birds dont sue). Something to honor the people originally meant to be honored.

If we are going to throw a hissy fit over a memorial on federal land, then maybe we should also go and take down every cross at Antietam, Gettysburg, etc. I am an atheist, but in no way does a cross placed as a memorial in an area that was not even federal land at the time offend me.The cross has existed as a symbol long before Jesus' birth. Maybe we should say it's a cross to represent September Equinox =)

Ranger Holly

Has everyone forgotten that our forefathers founded this nation to escape religious persecution? I am tired of worrying about whether my worshiping God is offending someone! We are a melting pot of different religious views. Just because I'm not Jewish doesn't mean that I would be offended by a Jewish monument. Come on people, stand up against religious persecution! God is calling on us to stand up for him!

• Fall and Winter Are Prime Seasons for Camping in These Parks   5 years 33 weeks ago

Keep in mind that late Fall and Winter are the perfect seasons for backpacking on Cumberland Island National Seashore. Comfortable temps, usually dry and clear skies as the seasons progress, very few bugs, even fewer people on the wilderness trails. Perfect for an extended weekend if you want a nice blend of history, nature, isolation and wildness on the beach.

For those interested, PBS' News Hour usually has pretty good Supreme Court recaps done by Marsha Coyle (sp?), and NPR's Nina Totenberg does the same for NPR. Keep an eye out.