• Skyline Drive Designated as a National Historic Landmark   5 years 24 weeks ago

Frank_C,

Thanks for your kind comments! It was a beautiful day and the foliage cooperated, giving us gorgeous views the entire drive. If you're ever in that part of the country, do take the trip. It's an eye-opener for certain.

Page_Co, I share your wonderment as to why this "Celebration" was so underplayed. No mention was made at the Ranger Station/Entry point, no signs posted, flyers given out, nothing. If not for the article here on NPT, I would never have known about it.

Frank, I hear you on your sentiments about the celebration of roads, and know where you're coming from. I won't open Pandora's box on that aspect of this particular road.

But I will say this: It is truly amazing just how well this road resides within the wilderness. You simply cannot see most of the roadbed from anywhere except the road itself or an aircraft. Special care certainly was taken during construction to minimize the impact on both the ridgelines and the flora and fauna of the area, even in an era where this was not of chief concern.

Here's a photo I took attempting to capture a stretch of the road from a neighboring ridge. This was the best and only long-view vantage I could get in the 40 miles that we drove:

You can see how the road just vanishes into the trees and ridges. The Appalachian Trail parallels the road for the most part as well, and is equally invisible.

It is my sincere hope and firm belief that one day soon, we will celebrate both this marvelous roadway AND a newly introduced zero-emissions mode of transportation that would whisk us and the generations to come along its path silently and cleanly.

• Just Another Snake Story   5 years 24 weeks ago

these snakes are'nt that bad. many think that they are agressive (exspecially burmese pythons) but they are actually gentle and are very relunctant to bite a person because they do not see us as a food prey. i own a ball python (i know ur probably saying its small compared to burmese) but burmese pythons (like the one featured in the picture) are actually pretty docile in nature. i handle my ball python all the time and he has never tried to strike ever... he still only a baby at about 1.5 to 2 ft long. i think people should actually give snakes a chance exspecially pythons only a few certain types of pythons are "agressive" such as the emerald tree python and the blood python. i would'nt say that they are "agressive" they are just defensive in nature and they strike out of fear for themselves. please people give these snakes a chance.

Dapster, those are some beautiful photos! They really make me want to visit.

I feel like such a hypocrite because I'd certainly love the drive; there's a nagging part of me that thinks we--and the NPS--shouldn't be celebrating roads. Page_Co, I was at a road celebration at Crater Lake, and it had a very strange vibe to it; I won't go into details here. But it felt almost sacrilegious to celebrate the fall of wilderness to industrial tourism. Maybe someday we'll celebrate the re-dedication of NPS roads as trails for bikes, horses, and pedestrians.

• National Park Quiz 25: Threatened and Endangered   5 years 25 weeks ago

So, Nannette, does hubbie Jim score as well as you do? I'd be interested to know whether there's a wager involved here. :-)

• Rockefeller Family Turns Over More than 1,100 Acres to Grand Teton National Park   5 years 25 weeks ago

I disagree entirely with Mr. Macdonald and question his sources on the "swindling," - an easy word to throw out, but does he have any hard evidence of illegal practices? Or merely landowners who, in hindsight, wish that they had held onto their land? Nobody forced them to sell - they cashed out. The Rockefellers don't owe you anything, Mr. Macdonald. Personally, I salute such visionary, grand-scale philanthropy. Thank you, John D Rockefeller, Jr. and Laurance Rockefeller - I don't begrudge your enjoyment/stewardship of your property at JY Ranch. My husband and I hiked your trails last Friday and saw a magnificent display by a male grouse. The Preserve is also a more direct route to access Open Canyon.

• 4-Year-old Dies in Fall off South Rim of Grand Canyon   5 years 25 weeks ago

I just returned from a trip to the Grand Canyon. What a beautiful and breathtaking site. However could not help but notice the dozens of people standing too close to the edge to get that perfect picture or climbing over and beyond the railings. One person climbed all the way to the tip of a rock cliff with a drop of about 300 to 400 ft. while onlookers stood by and watched. It would not improve the situation by building a fence or a wall around the intire canyon , It would obstruct the view and certain individuals would climb over anyway. It is a National park not Disneyland, and certainly not upto the NPS to stand guard over every individual that decides to visit the park. Exteme caution should be taken when being involved in outdoor activities such as this, and even in our best efforts a tragedy can accur. Thoughts and prayers to Steve and his family.

• Skyline Drive Designated as a National Historic Landmark   5 years 25 weeks ago

Considering that this is the highest honor that can be granted to a historic site in the United States, I am surprised that the Park did not bother to celebrate---- or AT LEAST acknowledge --- this milestone on their website, or in a press release. Sad really.

• National Park Quiz 25: Threatened and Endangered   5 years 25 weeks ago

Bob, I did pretty darn good on this one! Looking forward to the next quiz.

• Trails I've Hiked: Half Dome, Yosemite National Park   5 years 25 weeks ago

Tom,
    Yes, I am that same person. My Dad's nickname was Red all his life until he turned white headed and then he always said they called him Frosty. How are you and Sherry doing? Have you done the Half Dome hike before? My email address is so please send an email and I will respond. I look forward to hearing from you. Art

• Trails I've Hiked: Half Dome, Yosemite National Park   5 years 25 weeks ago

Half Dome has many faces. I really like the Glacier Point view. From Cloud's Rest you look down at the big rock and get a full-on view of the ants going up the cables. I am never disaapointed with the view from the top of Half Dome itself. The valley below, El Capitan, The Ahwahnee, Tenaya Canyon and the distant mountians are a rush. Don't forget to get your photo taken standing out on the Visor. I also love to crawl out to the edge and look down the face - 2,000 feet straight down.

Capre Diem - Seize the day!

Rick Deutsch
    Mr. Half Dome
    www.HikeHalfDome.com

• Interior Officials Want to Allow Concealed Carry in the National Parks   5 years 25 weeks ago

Frnk--

You missed my pointa--"The River Wild" has as little to do with this debate than does "Deliverance".

Rick Smith

Ah, "The River Wild". I haven't seen it since 1994, but isn't it about a pair of armed robbers who have a gun (probably WITHOUT a concealed weapons permit) and hijack a rafting boat? The boat guides are unarmed (by choice or by law, we don't know), and one tries to steal the gun from the criminals while they're asleep, but the criminals wake up and shoot at him. Seems like there's just one cop for miles and miles, and he ends up getting killed by the criminals. The situation is resolved when the protagonist struggles for and gains control of the gun and shoots the bad guy.

If the good guys had concealed weapons (and corresponding permits), they could have forced the bad guys to give up their weapon rather than trying to sneak away from the armed bad guys.

Nate--

You ever seen "The River Wild"?

Rick Smith

have any of you people seen the movie Deliverance? nuff said if you have

• Upon Further Review – The Whirlwind Tourist   5 years 25 weeks ago

They should have just purchased the DVD........oops, sorry, forgot the timeline. They should have just purchased a packet of postcards........they would have "seen it all". What a tremendous waste of time and effort. I feel mostly for the kids. With parents like that, I'll bet their family reunions are held in a fast-food franchise's parking lot.

• Park History: Biscayne National Park   5 years 25 weeks ago

Biscayne Bay has snorkeling, but I'm assuming you want to see reefs, and the reefs are not in Biscayne Bay. Perhaps your real question is "Which has better snorkeling, Key Largo or Biscayne National Park?"

The reefs off Key Largo are about 3-5 miles off the Florida Keys. So are the ones in Biscayne National Park, but the park also protects the Keys and the Bay, so the distance from Parking lot to reef is more like 12-15 miles. The reefs at Biscayne get far less visitation, and are regularly included in lists of the best "unknown" dive and snorkel spots.

While the prices in Key Largo may be less expensive, consider entrance fees (Biscayne doesn't have one) and equipment rental costs (all additional at Pennekamp, but all included at Biscayne). The Biscayne trip is longer, but the reef is farther away...both trips offer the same amount of water time.

All that said, if it is windy, snorkeling on a reef is going to suck. Biscayne has bay snorkeling alternatives that the lower keys (Key Largo to Key West) don't have. You won't see reefs, but there are cool things living in the seagrasses and mangroves.

By the way, to correct some errors in the story above: the park has not had 2 glass-bottom boats since Hurricane Andrew 16 years ago, and the island's correct name is Boca Chita, not Boca Chica (that one is down near Key West).

• Trails I've Hiked: Half Dome, Yosemite National Park   5 years 25 weeks ago

Art,
    Was your Dad called Red? And, retired from the Navy?
    If so, you recognize my name. Repy and I'll pass on what your sister is up too.
    Tom Huxtable

Jim Burnett,
    Thank you very much for the press release. I have printed the release so that as my wife and I travel we can visit some of the new locations that may take a while to find their way into travel guides.

Jim

Thanks for the comments.

Jim - here's a link to the press release from Interior about the recent designation - it gives a short summary for each of the 16 sites.

Great article, Jim! A well deserved honor for a truly wonderful highway.

My family and I drove along 40 miles of the parkway on Sunday, 10/26, enjoying both beautiful high-pressure dominated weather and nearly peak fall foliage. (We traveled South from State Rt. 33 to State Rt. 250, or from Harrisonburg to Charlottesville VA.)

A very unique and enchanting aspect of this highway is the way it meanders along the ridges, giving visitors fantastic panoramic views of both the Shenandoah Valley to the West and the Piedmont to the East.

Come along as we explore some highlights of my family’s recent journey:

The Parkway. It’s hard to actually find a stretch to photograph, as it is secreted amongst the ridges and trees almost seamlessly.

Scenic Overlook on the Shenandoah Side. One can see why it is called “The Blue Ridge” in this photo. Massanutten Mountain in the background. Massanutten boasts a four-season resort, with a top-notch ski area that has runs that ascend to the top of the wave-shaped ridge pictured. You can hike from the top of a lift to the peak for great views of the resort itself.

My two year-old son on his first rock climbing route. Just look at that technique! (Disclaimer: No toddlers were harmed in the making of this picture).

Vistas like this await you at every turn. Scenic overlooks abound on either side of the ridge, as well as parking areas that access trailheads.

Speaking of around the next turn….

Colors were very near peak and quite stunning. The next week should produce some of the best colors of the season.

If you're ever in the area, no matter what time of year, I would recommend taking this drive or any portion of it. You will not be disappointed!

dap

I am thrilled to read this.Skyline Drive was a major part of my childhood.The fall colors and the ride to see them was always a special time for me.When I went home (to Richmond) to visit, I took my husband and children to Skyline Drive.They were as entranced as I have always been and we have wonderful photos of our trip. This is a must do trip for anyone who appreciates fall color and natural wildlife.

• How Will the Next Administration Deal With the Environment?   5 years 25 weeks ago

To clarify a few points:
    1) do we really want it to be too easy or too fast to change something like a longstanding policy of the US Government?
    Yes, absolutely. The inference is that a long standing policy of our government equates to it being a good policy. Nothing could be further from the truth.
    EX: we have a "long standing" national policy of backing the Saudi regime, who are as notoriously corrupt as our own ruling body, and whose people are (the majority anyway, as shown in a multitude of internal Saudi polls) as blatantly anti-American as any people on the planet, but our "look the other way and take the oil" policy is pathetic. We agreed to fund and our contractors were the majority interest in assembling the infrastructure by which the Saudi oil reserved could be harnessed and in return we were promised that our nation would reap the "benefit" of the largest oil producing nation in the world acting with our "national interests" in mind as OPEC was conceived and became the controlling body of the world oil network. In the days since, instead of working towards energy independence and cutting the Middle Eastern monetary giant off at the knees, we continue to pursue "national interests" throughout the Arabian Peninsula. Great policy, especially in light of the events of the past decade or so, don't you think?

2) Depending on how thoughtful and skillful the public support or opposition for a certain issue is, it IS possible to influence both the White House and the Congress. They are instruments, and can be played.
    I guess that American public support and indignation on issues such as affordable health care, equalization of the tax structure, corporate welfare, a legal system that administers "liberty and justice for ALL", not just the lower and middle classes, education, social and national security, etc. etc. etc. is just not "thoughtful and skillful" enough to overcome the blockades that are the special interest lobbyists in Washington. A majority of the root of the evil that is capitalism is that only those who can AFFORD to support change can actually enact change. That simple rule effectively eliminates the majority of the population in this country ever experiencing the manner of "change" we seek. Using your criterion, I guess that makes most of us, by definition, unskilled, impatient and stupid. I profess to being unskilled in politics, and I hold career politicians in the highest levels of contempt for their inability to be accountable for the current status of our nation. I would, effective today, remove ALL career politicians from office to be replaced with skilled negotiators, people who can effectively research the needs of their constituents and work towards the most effective compromise on those issues, WITHOUT succumbing to the pork and influence that special interests demand.

3) Civilizations fall because the governed no longer care about supporting that civilization.
    The fall of many empires over the history of mankind is largely attributable to two major factors: a) and inability to recognize the point whereby the empire could no longer effectively be "managed and controlled", and b) taking those from the lowest fiscal strata for granted and viewing their wants, needs and desires as socially inferior, or unworthy of serious consideration. Of the "great empires" of the past 4000 years, only the British of the 17th / 18th centuries began the process of pulling back the "reigns" before the entire system collapsed into chaos and ruin, and was the only great world power to not have the ruling family ousted from power by the people. Babylonia, Syria, Persia, Egypt, Greece, Rome, Mongolia, China, France, Spain, the Aztecs, Russia (shall I continue?) all met their end shortly after ascending to the pinnacle of international power. Our internal mechanisms more closely parallel those exhibited by Rome, France, Spain and the Aztec models. All were mighty military powers, far beyond the walls of the homeland. All exhibited great wealth that was, by and large, the profits of raping conquered nations. All were lead by wealthy ruling elite who did their level best to distance themselves from the "commoners" who supported and actually built the empires through their own physical toils, spilling their own blood when necessary. ALL eventually rose up in revolt against the ruling powers and deposed them, mainly through execution of the heads of state and their families. Taking those ruled for granted and neglecting their wants, needs and desires, or even more tragically, imposing YOUR wants, needs and desires on them, is the fatal mistake that sets the dominos in motion. The outcome is inevitable, chronology and geography be damned. This has nothing to do with lacking in desire to support the civilization, but rather, lacking the desire to support the governmental body, which is a separate issue completely. Pardon my metaphor...... but we, as a people, don't want the business closed. We just demand management that has the interests of the workers at hearts, not solely or exclusively the interests of accountants and majority shareholders. If, we're suffering, they should be as well.

4) Obama the Inexperienced, United States Senator for barely 1 1/2 terms, and currently only the Democratic Flavor of the Month because nationally, people hate the "Hillary and BillyBob the Cigar Manipulator Show" even more than they hate his lack of references and credibility, which places him on almost dead equal footing with Sarah the Governor of a State Most Schoolkids Can't Find on a Map of the United States, is too closely joined at the hip with both convicted corrupt politicians and convicted felons for me to be too comfortable with his ability to effectively govern without maintaining a "business as usual" methodology. His rhetoric rings hollow to these ears, as does that of his contemporaries and predecessors. It makes one wonder if killing for our national system of government was ever the right thing to do. I strongly encourage your ballot goes to Ron Paul, Ralph Nader, or Larry the Cucumber as opposed to supporting another administrative nightmare that will be the 2008 President of the United States. Will any of my alternative candidates win, or even stand a chance? Please......but at least you can look everyone in the face and claim that you, thankfully, did NOT support another 4+ years of ineffective American governmental lackluster leadership, from EITHER party.

Which really puts the immediate needs and overall future of our National Park Service in quite the conundrum, no?

Why did the SF Chronicle not report on Obama's voting record? Could it be that he doesn't have one? If so, I guess you can only HOPE for the best - like on so many other issues.

Will you please provide the names of the other 15 sites and the states that received the National Historic Landmark designation? Perhaps an article that summarizes each one would be helpful.

• Shuttles Make Visiting Cades Cove In Great Smoky Mountains National Park A Bit Easier   5 years 25 weeks ago

I would hope that there would be sufficient trolleys so as to allow riders to depart, look and catch the next one back.