• Creature Feature: To Save the Mission Blue Butterfly, You Have to Save the Lupine   5 years 25 weeks ago

I am not sure where the skyline ridge population you referred to is. Nor am I aware of any populations on OSD lands. Please contact me if you can confirm the presence of MBBs at this location.

Ben

• A Tough Week for Hikers and Mule Riders at Grand Canyon National Park   5 years 25 weeks ago

No, and I haven't heard if the woman died. I heard she pulled the mule over after it stumbled. Anyone know anything?

• Celebrate Wildflowers at Cedar Breaks National Monument   5 years 25 weeks ago

Cedar Breaks is one of those treasures often overlooked by people making the Zion - Bryce - North Rim of the Grand Canyon loop.

It's worth a visit - and deserves more than just an hour "passing through."

Beautiful! I have visited Cedar Breaks twice via bicycle. It is truly a natural treasure. The wildflowers were pretty much history when I was there in the fall. It snowed on me both times as I rode over the crest and headed down to Panguich.

• Traveler Tech Update: IE8 and Latest Performance   5 years 25 weeks ago

Ummm, what problems are those? I run the latest FF and haven't noticed any problems.

• Traveler Tech Update: IE8 and Latest Performance   5 years 25 weeks ago

Are you also going to fix the display problems with Firefox?

• Inspiring Service in the National Parks   5 years 25 weeks ago

This is an excellent idea, to solve the parks' funding shortfalls with volunteer work. I think it's especially important that parks be accessible to the public as our environmental challenges grow, because the parks' beauty causes people to connect with and care about nature. This caring can yield more volunteers, and more people working to solve environmental issues overall.

• Survey Says National Park Service Is Far from the Best Government Agency to Work For   5 years 25 weeks ago

ask the ticket takers at the badlands national park?i worked at mt rushmore in 1997,and yes the perm. employees think their s--t dosent stink..i agree with the above statement..

• Secretary Salazar Wants Everglades National Park to Return to Endangered List   5 years 25 weeks ago

There are World Cultural Heritage Sites and World Natural Heritage Sites. The Everglades are part of the World Natural Heritage and recognized as such by the UNESCO along with Yellowstone, Grand Canyon, Wrangell-St. Elias and Glacier Bay, Redwood NP, Mammoth Cave, Olympic NP, GSM NP, Yosemite, Hawaii Volcanoes NP, Carlsbad Caverns and Glacier NP. The World Cultural Heritage Sites in the US are: Mesa Verde, Independence Hall, Cahokia, La Fortaleza and San Juan in Puerto Rico, Statue of Liberty, Monticello and the Universität of Virginia, Chaco Culture NHP and Taos Pueblo.

Everglades National Park (ENP) summarily evicted the cultural communities associated with it when it was established many years ago (Native Americans-Gladesmen). The Big Cypress National Preserve right next to ENP has never even had a cultural resource person on staff. Why would anyone support ENP or any US National Park as a heritage site? Why the Secretary of Interior would support any place managed by NPS as a heritage site is beyond me. Whenever a National Park has been set up in America the first thing they plan is the removal and destruction of local cultures formally associated with the Park in question in order to make way for the NPS newly invented history and interpretation (propoganda). One wouldn't think NPS doesn't even know there is Directors Order 28 mandating them to protect ethnographic/ cultural communities. The largest benefit so far to come with Everglades Restoration in print is that an additional 2 feet of water will be STORED there in the future. That will be controlled with pumps that I don't believe are too NATURAL.
    Mr. Salazar is obviously a political appointee with little if any environmental or cultural professional training in his background.

For me it was the lack of merit based advancement and too much emphasis on self-promotion and ladder climbing careerism that led me out the door. It was not possible to be a motivated and talented employee and then be advanced according to your talents and capacities. You had to sit and wait for the slugs in front of you that were content to polish a chair with their butts. I remember one chief ranger telling me that I had a good chance for a job once the guy in the current job retired. He said, "he's a short timer with only about six more years till he retires." Oh that's all huh?

Not an organization that rewards the go getters of this world. For many of the less talented it IS a nice place to wait out the time in tranquil anticipation of a generous retirement package.

For a humorous look at life in the rank & file my story blog on the NPS might bring a smile to those of you who have slogged through the musty halls of this myopic bureaucracy: www.parkcircus.blogspot.com

I have only come across 1 individual who had a problem with her job, and she was in fact a fee booth employee at Cape Hatteras Light house. But as far as the 2 Grand Canyon fee booth employees, they may just have been referring to working in the Grand Canyon in any capacity as their dream job. I have visited many NP sites over the past 20 years and I have always found the rangers in all areas to appear to love what they are doing, but I am sure this survey is not wrong either. I just hope that things improve for everyone.

• Softness Continues To Be the Story Across National Park Lodging   5 years 25 weeks ago

The U.S. has passed a historic inflection point. It is unlikely that the days of cheap and easy travel, along with the intensely consumptive lifestyle of the past few decades, will return any time soon - if at all. Rather than trying to resuscitate an economic model that is unsustainable and wasting precious resources and time, it would more productive to begin the process of moving into a less consumptive and more sustainable system.

The NPS has been in serious decline, some of it almost a free-fall, since its reorganization in 1995. That means almost fourteen years of erosion that will take some years to stop followed by several years of recovery. The good news is that I think the recovery may be underway, but I'm not sure how long it can be sustained. The economy, already large and increasing entitlements in the federal budget, and the potential for another reorganization or consolidation all threaten the Service. That doesn't mean we can't find bright spots. If there is much satisfaction out there, I would expect to find it in the parks where the idea of being "paid in sunsets," especially in the crown jewel parks and the West, is still very much alive. The reality is that the NPS is now much more than the lean, male ranger riding off into the Sierra alpenglow. Fewer and fewer employees get to work the so-called "dream" jobs. That "old" NPS eroded with the increasing crush of specialization, regulation and compliance that affected the organization dating from the late '60s, and with the Yosemite riot in 1970 that forced the Service to reexamine the park ranger concept.

Also, we should remember that all of what I mentioned above occurred at a time when the Service was marginally funded at the field level and undergoing rapid national expansion, both physical and ideological. It wasn't until the mid-'90s that we got several park rangers off food stamps by paying them a living wage. Then the Service proceeded to repair itself even though it wasn't broken. Several regional offices and centers paid dearly and several folks have the scars - and settlements - to prove it.

Today, the NPS has to own up to the fact, then convince Congress, that it is grossly overextended in terms of mission and facilities. Its central office experts often work at least one or two pay grades below their counterparts in other federal agencies. That needs to change in order to compete for expert employees. Its interpretive mission is now viewed through a politically correct, multicultural lens where moral equivalency sets a stage for visitors to reach their own conclusions. And, hopefully, narcissism and a host of non-merit factors no longer determine selections as they once did until recently in at least one regional office.

Indeed, repairing and restoring the NPS into even a mediocre place to work will be a serious challenge. I, for one, am glad that I'm out of it. I really love the park idea and am proud of my contributions to the mission over a long career. The NPS was a calling to me; however, it is no longer the noble organization I knew and loved and I have directed my children to avoid it as a career. Instead, I have encouraged them to follow the money, then volunteer because those folks really are the ones with the "dream" jobs.

We rangers love our jobs - the actual job part and we won't tell a visitor we hate it (even if we did). The hard part is that mgmt doesn't care about seasonals, treats us like we are worthless and half the time won't bother to learn our names. Most of us aren't valued from within. As this story suggests, if my supervisor actually showed interest in me and my duties that would help a ton. Living conditions are poor at best and there is no training, incentives, or even opportunities to move up and stay with the agency. It's practically impossible to have a family and be in the service anymore.

I have been with the NPS for almost 10 years and I have seen many great rangers move on because of these reasons. We are filling positions with retired folks and vets - people that have had horrible jobs in the private sector - of course they love the NPS. They see it as a vacation, not a career. They don't have families and bills to worry about. I believe deeply in the mission and have struggled with all my heart and passion over the years to see it through. I have tried endlessly to get a perm job only to have nepotism, vet status and the glorious SKEP program move people ahead of me. You wonder why morale is low amonst the core career people....

...how seasonals are treated...yada, yada, yada...

Terry, those kids were high on gas fumes. I don't know one out of hundreds of fee rangers I've ever worked with during my ten seasons who said working the fee booth is a "dream job". And if they weren't high on diesel fumes, then it must have been their first week on the job. Or they were just lying to the public, which is pretty much required of them on a daily basis.

Anyway, Kurt, isn't this story a re-run?

The NPS sucks and it's a horrible agency to work for...yada, yada, yada....nepotism...yada, yada, yada...cronyism...yada, yada, yada...

The credit bubble has burst. The Fed inflated prices through its easy credit policy; there's tremendous downward pressure on prices, but our government keeps interfering and trying to prop up an unsustainable bubble. Stories about the "softness" of concessionaires' profit will continue for the next few years, especially after the bulk of the stimulus funds hit during the next fiscal year. Inflation will keep prices high and price all but the elite out of our national parks. Hopefully, that's as bad as it'll get and our government won't borrow and spend us into hyperinflation; things are not so great in Zimbabwe.

• Latest Pastime of Yellowstone National Park Bison: Human Tossing   5 years 25 weeks ago

Most people think that bears are the most dangerous in Yellowstone. Bison are the most dangerous. When my wife and I were in Yellowstone NP in June, 2000, there was an exhibit in the Canyon area -- I think at the visitor center -- about bison and the danger they pose. There was a video showing people being tossed in the air as if they were pillows. A photograph showed the front of Chevrolet Suburban pushed in as if the front were made of aluminum foil. Bison can easily run 30 miles per hour and can attain it quickly, a speed far faster than than any human can run.

It is up to people to be aware of the dangers that animals pose, not the other way around. If a person does not care to take precautions or believes that the animals should give way to humans, visiting a zoo would be more appropriate.

You definitely have a point, Clint. Many people have little understanding or appreciation for the fact that wild animals are truly wild, and that they can seriously hurt or even kill you If you want to see a classic example of this go to Brooks Camp in Katmai National Park. It is a constant struggle to convince visitors not to approach bears and to take precautions not to attract them.

By the way, based on my experiences, moose are probably more dangerous than bears.

I am noticing frequent problems accessing NPT in recent days, sometimes briefly, some lasting. As I submitted a commented a few minutes ago, I got the dreaded "Server Not Available" error, and my post was null-filed. After several more failures, the site came up again.

Haven't seen this before on NPT, and all other web-activities continue normally.

My son and I were at Yellowstone and Grand Teton two weeks ago and every ranger and NPS employee we had contact with had wonderful attitudes and were extremely friendly and sure seemed as though they loved their jobs. Our first night at Yellowstone we went to the campfire program at Bridge Bay Campground. It was presented by a male and female ranger who were husband and wife. They explained that they had both quit their jobs at the same time to accept ranger positions at Yellowstone. They made a point of explaining how happy they were to have made that choice.

Maybe there are areas within the NPS that are more unpleasant to work at than others, but we sure did not get that impression from what we saw at Yellowstone and Grand Teton. Like my son said when I asked him if he noticed how friendly the employees were..."You would be friendly too if you got to live and work around here".

Stephen Hicks

I'm sure the survey is correct but on a recent trip to Grand Canyon North Rim and Cedar Breaks parks I talked to two NPS employees who said this was their 'dream job'. And they were both working the fee stations at the time. One had been laid off in Ga. and the other had been a nurse. Both thought they now had the best job in the world.

• National Park Mystery Photo 8: Well, It's Kinda Oval   5 years 25 weeks ago

No, not angry at all. I'm afraid I wouldn't have guessed the right park anyway. Congrats to tehoma.

By the by, the bison in that story did have a reason. It felt threatened by all those people. The park rules clearly state: 100 yards from wolves and bears, and 25 yards for all other large animals. What were the father and daughter doing 15 feet from this bull bison? My guess is that rangers who see this kind of stupidity day in and day out, the last thing they want to do is make the animal suffer for it.