• Maine North Woods National Park: Has The Time Arrived?   5 years 28 weeks ago

I live in Maine, where you can buy a 4BR home in downtown Millinocket for $39K. I don't see anything happening in Maine that will improve the financial prospects for the owners of that 4BR property. Are the paper companies going to save northern Maine? The shoe companies? Agriculture? Hardly. A new NP would sew the North Woods with the kind of sustainable economic activity that makes Maine viable for Mainers.

• FY 2010 Budget For National Park Service Can Only Go Up   5 years 28 weeks ago

I'm sorry to have to say that Anon may be right. After a few seasons, I got the clue that our volunteer crew was being asked to do a lot that maybe paid employees should be doing. The paid rangers put their game face on for the public, but we could tell some were sullen and resentful - especially those who had been seasonals for many years. The younger ones seemed happy enough - but they didn't expect much from the service and many were going back to school anyway. They were the ones who actually seemed appreciative of the volunteers. Most of the rangers, though, were rather cold to us - and some were downright rude, almost as if we were intruding on their turf. I was proud to serve, but I won't go back next season. What a disappointment. I understand Mr. Jarvis came up through the ranks - maybe he will make his employees feel more valued. For the sake of my beloved park I certainly hope so.

• Maine North Woods National Park: Has The Time Arrived?   5 years 28 weeks ago

The narrator says:

"If you're looking for wilderness areas anywhere near the northeast...you're out of luck; there aren't any."

What? Baxter State Park doesn't count? I'm not saying the National Park is a bad idea, but it's quite misleading to imply that only within the NPS do you find wilderness.

• Maine North Woods National Park: Has The Time Arrived?   5 years 28 weeks ago

I strongly believe that a national forest would be more user friendly than a park
    I Have travelled and camped accross the US for the past 50 years ( I am 85) and find the national forest much more flexible and less restrictive than national parks.
    More friendly to local residents
    Less sophisticated structures
    Closer to nature
    possibly more economical to operote

• Supreme Court Hears Arguments Over Cross at Mojave National Preserve   5 years 28 weeks ago

There was a case a few years ago of the 130 ft tall cross on Mount Davidson in San Francisco. It was located on a city park that was purchased by the city after the first cross was erected.

They had similar problems to what's now going on at Mojave National Preserve with a singular (i.e. no other displays from other sects) religious display on government property. I thought they initially tried to sell the land with the promise that the cross be preserved, but in the end they put the property up for sale with a competitive bidding process. The buyer was intent on saving the cross, but there could have been a different buyer who could have taken it down.

I think the sticky situation here is that Congress apparently sold it with a specific requirement that effectively meant that the cross must stay up. That's probably where it runs into the establishment clause, where they intentionally sold it to a group intent on keeping the cross rather than putting it up for a competitive bid where it could have gone to someone who wanted to take it down.

The nps needs to pay attention to the infrastructure of its people before it spends more cash on buildings, expansion of boundaries, and fancy publications. The nps practices slave labor, poor treatment of seasonal and permanent employees, and is a good 'ol boy network.
    I know you won't let this be posted, but it is the truth.

• Greenpeace Activists Exploited Security Failings at Mount Rushmore National Memorial To Stage Protest   5 years 28 weeks ago

From the report, it's clear that the Greenpeace crew acted with the skill, detailed planning, and determination that might be expected of professionals. Not bad for screwballs. Maybe NPS should consider signing some of these people up as consultants, in the same manner that computer hacks are hired to test security systems. Hmmm.

I personally am a practicing Catholic, and believe that the cross should be allowed to stay up. However, it is a matter of basic human respect to allow other religious monuments to be constructed as well. Not only Christians died during World War I; Buddhists, Jews, Muslims, etc. did too and if they wish to have a symbol of their faith put up next to the cross, who is the Congress to say no?

This country is letting every screwball organization get away with anything they want to do.

Thank You America!

"...adventure without regard to prudence, profit, self-improvement,
    learning or any other serious thing" -Aldo Leopold-

(Ed: This comment was edited. )

someone has to watch the cameras....what about the backside of mt rushmore? gonna cost a lot more money than the park service wants to pay for good security...been there and worked there,not an easy answer...

• Maine North Woods National Park: Has The Time Arrived?   5 years 28 weeks ago

I have very mixed feelings about the Maine Woods National Park. Having been born and grown up in Maine, and spent much of my life here, I would love to see our north woods preserved. But having spent a number of years in Colorado, I have also seen how the national parks bring more development and roads, and much more use. I have also seen the national parks being poorly managed, and the pressure for roads and trails leading to serious degredation of habitat. Our own Baxter State Park in Maine is much better managed for it's wilderness attributes than the national parks are, and I'd prefer to see an expansion of Baxter State Park over a national park. But, given the lack of money in Maine, and also the lack of political will, perhaps a national park is the best that we can do. In any case, doing nothing is the worst option. Plum Creek has already planned to massively develop their holdings, and other REITs can not be far behind.

• When Visiting the National Parks, Look for Historic Lookouts   5 years 28 weeks ago

Thanks for the NOCA lookouts imagery. John Suiter's book Poets on the Peaks: Gary Snyder, Philip Whalen & Jack Kerouac in the Cascades (Conterpoint, 2002) does an outstanding job of explaining how the splendid solitude of North Cascades fire tower duty helped shape the writing of the beat generation icons. I'd love to attend a Gary Snyder reading, but I fear I'll never get the chance. Snyder is one of the last of his breed -- a pity, that -- and he won't be making public presentations forever (he'll be 80 next May).

Whoa! I blew that one! Other comments still apply.

• Where Can You Find the Best Fall Foliage In the National Park System? Here Are Ten Contenders   5 years 28 weeks ago

I'd also throw a nod in to Zion National Park, particularly the high country of the Kolob Terrace. The black and red and pink rocks are complimented by golden and red trees.

• Oh Boy! The Prospect Hotel! What Room Will I Be Staying In?   5 years 28 weeks ago

That's right, Bat. Same S.O.B., different venue.

Bob, is this the "sweet old buddy" you wrote about before? Another LOL story from you, thanks!

Ummm...actually, Anon, both Virginia and Maryland were named for English monarchs. Respectively, Queen Elizabeth (the 'Virgin Queen') and King Charles' I wife Queen Henrietta Maria, otherwise known as Queen Mary.

Nice to hear from you Fred. Glad to know that you got the paint job finished before cold weather set in. BTW, I ran a painting contracting company while I was in grad school. We painted lots of old houses and apartment buildings that had been coated with lead-based paint. We scraped and sanded and primed the rough spots first, of course. Inhaling all that lead dust undoubtedly contributed to the current sad state of my brain cells. Cheers, Bob

• Coalition Calls for Sen. Feinstein's Rider Extending Life of Oyster Farm at Point Reyes National Seashore To Be Stripped   5 years 28 weeks ago

Oh no. Your reporting on this seems to have been before other sources.

What I'm implying here is that the Sept 23 rider was a modification spurred as a result of pressure on Senator Feinstein by members of Congress who had received the Sept 17 letter from the California Coastal Commission.

What I'm trying to figure out (and there hasn't been that much reporting on it recently in the Bay Area press) is whether or not the current Save Drakes Bay campaign is to remove the rider that was inserted in June in the original Senate version of the bill - or to the latest modification of the rider that doesn't contain a mandate.

Here's the original article you wrote as a reference. I tried entering "Feinstein" or "Point Reyes" and couldn't find it. I had to go back manually through the archives to locate it.

I would note that it isn't clear whether or not Drakes Estero can be declared as designated wilderness. I've heard some opinions that the State of California still maintains rights to all waters including bays and can't cede it to the federal government. I finally saw the map, and the "proposed wilderness" is simply the water and none of the land around Drakes Estero. It's rather an interesting situation, as none of the shore operations are on "potential wilderness" as I had thought until I saw the map. As it is right now, I've never heard of any saltwater body of water that's been grated designated wilderness status. Apparently the analysis by the Secretary of the Interior at the time of the 1976 PRWA was that the reasons for declaring Drakes Estero as potential wilderness were the use by the oyster farm along with the rights of the State of California.

Y_P_W,

First of all, apologies for the search engine. We know it's a decrepit animal that sleeps more than functions, and we're working on a solution. In the meantime, the best way to search is to use the "Browse By Content" application and go to the park of your choice. It's not perfect, but it's better than the search engine.

As to your concerns: I don't think I said or implied that Sen. Feinstein's rider was in response to the letter sent by the Coastal Commission.

As to the timing of the story and what goes on in Washington, with only three bodies at the Traveler and 391 units of the Park System, we are not always johnny-on-the-spot, but we're trying.

Thanks for the update y.p.w.--

Given that authorization, if I were in charge, I'd negotiate a lease extension, with requirements that the oyster farm monitor their impacts (hire a consultant to monitor the impacts), and at least some funding going to NPS or outside studies of what it would take to restore native oyster beds.

Then, in 5 or 10 years, we'd actually have good data to make a solid decision. The current complaints are that only partial data exist, as PORE doesn't have funding to collect comprehensive data on impacts (positive & negative) of DBOC in PORE. I read the NAS report (all of it!), and the major complaint was that NPS didn't consider the potential positive effects of the oyster racks & bags, and didn't have data on the magnitude of the filtering effect.

I imagine that almost everyone is thankful I'm not in charge, and never will be in charge.

You three were quite entertaining. We enjoyed your stay - maybe as much as you did! The idea that the Village Idiot's room was already taken rings true - You can't have my room!!
    Who else (in their right mind) would buy a place like this and then take on repainting it? Barbara's photo shows it just prior to the repaint with most of the old paint already scraped off. We have now completed the exterior painting. 45 gallons later it presents MUCH better.
    Thanks for making us laugh, once when you were here and once again now.

Fred and Karen Wickman
    www.prospecthotel.com

Let me just clarify. Anyone who has been following this has noted a timeline, and it's unclear on first reading whether or not the author here is fully aware of the details. The letter to the California Coastal Commission was sent on Sept 17 and the latest rider is dated Sept 23. The reporting is that the Sept 23 version was a direct response after pressure from members of Congress who received copies of that letter. Most of the reporting on this story seem to be several days later. An article in the Marin Independent-Journal was dated Oct 5 but was referencing the amendment sent on Sept 23.

Bear with me. I don't understand all the working details of Congress - so I'm having difficulty trying to figure out the paper trail of the original text and the various amendments.

When the original Senate version of the bill came into being last June, Sen Feinstein inserted language to it that mandated a 10 year extension to the lease. The rider attached to this article is the latest version of that amendment - toned down from a mandate to a mere "authorization" for the Secretary of the Interior to extend the lease. I was unsure about whether the author made that distinction, although I looked up an article by Kurt from last June that mentioned the original language (I'd also note that the search engine isn't working very well when I tried to search for it).

Perhaps this is a minor distinction. Many have felt that the original terms of the original 1972 lease were clear that the NPS had authorization to extend it as there was a renewal clause. Perhaps the newer language makes a distinction (for the lawyers to sort out perhaps) that there is authorization to extend the lease and that the NAS report should form a basis for considering the pros and cons of extension. Perhaps Sen Feinstein is hoping that this sends a stronger message (short of forcing his signature on a lease) to Secretary Salazar than her letters and phone calls urging him to extend the lease.

I would stress again that the law as written now does not call for an automatic extension of the lease.

Jeesh! All I did was search for "Mojave National Preserve" so I could plan my visit, and I came up with this!

The whole issue, which centers on separation of church and state, is a farce. There has never been separation of church and state in this country. If they were separated, then there would be no Christmas tree on the White House lawn. In fact, Christmas would either (1) not be an official federal holiday at all, or (2) it would - and so would the major holidays of every religion on earth. (Hmmm - what would that do to the economy? We'd all be off work about every other day...) There's more. Here in California, where most cities were founded by the Spaniards, almost all of them have religious names. Should we rename Los Angeles, San Francisco, Santa Barbara, San Diego, Sacramento, etc. etc. etc. because these names purposely endorsed Catholic saints and concepts? How about non-Spanish but still religious place names such as St. Paul, Minnesota? Or the states of Virginia and Maryland? What "Virgin" and which "Mary" do you think those refer to?