• Congressman Criticizes Cape Lookout National Seashore's Proposed ORV Plan   6 days 20 hours ago

Wrong. I've never once been on welfare or taken a handout. I've been employed and have had projects and work since I exited college with my degrees. And seriously beach, you're too cowardly to post under your own name, so I don't believe most of what you say. You behave like your every move is under threat by what the govenment does at the Cape Hatteras, and it's fairly pathetic. How about EDUCATING YOU and your family to do something else so that don't have to rely on the every whims of Cape Hatteras! But I know that might be tough. That might require being "influenced" from the scary outside world!

I have family roots that worked in steel mills. The mills are decaying and being torn down, and replaced with tech and biotech industries. I can look at the past in pictures but don't feel an urge to fight to keep the old steel mills standing so they can still make steel. Maybe, because the culture that i'm from realized that the future wasnt going to be in steel, so they educated their kids to do something else. The past is just that - the past. The parochial types tend to hang on to it like it's still the future.

Congrats for once walking a mile. I'm sure that was a tough day in your life. Nothing is truly remote in the CHNS.... You want remote, go trek in Alaska, or the Northern Rockies and get back to me about "how tough you have it" when you have to walk less than a mile.. Boy you guys truly are the epitome of lazy over there in the OB.

Well, let's see, there's that one who calls himself ec or something like that . . . .

But he'll deny it.

See ya at the gym.

like I'm sure you have

moronic people

Is it fair to suggest that Your bigoted attacks glarinly show the right wing ignorant intolerance to anything but thier view.

Thanks for a good laugh this morning.

Now how about trying to seek workable solutions that lie somewhere between the ignorant left wing and the equally ignorant right wing?

Probably hopeless, but I do think we should try . . .

Or the folks who want ALL the beach open to ORVs, or those who want ALL the forest and park trails open to bikes, or those who want ALL the roads to be paved, or those who want ALL the services provided free, or . . . . or . . . . (and the list goes on ad infinitum)

Oh - you mean like all those folks that claim man has no impact on earth? You couldn't name one of them and I am guessing you can't name anyone that meets the description above either.

Note that in my post asking for reasonableness on all sides, I was careful to point to the extremes on both ends when I asked for nothing more than an adult, sensible consideration of seeking compromise.

But to those infected with the Great American Entitlement Mentality, that is a completely foreign concept.

Excuse me, but I need to head for the gym to join a large number of others who have found themselves overweight and/or afflicted with something called age who are trying to do something about it. We may be old and fat, (although I prefer the word chubby) but at least we're not lazy.

Gary, I don't have a business anywhere near either these parks and never taken a government handout or subsidy, like I'm sure you have. I have family roots to these islands and care deeply about my friends that live there. They are suffering at the hands of moronic people like yourself that have no understanding of the area. I have walked miles to many parts of these islands and glady share my walks with responsible ORV drivers. Your bigoted attacks glarinly show the left wing ignorant intolerance to anything but thier view.

Sorry Gary - people have the right to be "lazy" if they want to. But then ORVs at Cape Lookout have nothing to do with "lazy".

This is a reasonable compromise, to all but the lazy. This congressman should be ashamed for simply being a lazy american and promoting an even lazier america. Hoorray for the continual decline into a full blown idiocracy. All praise the lazy!

Agreed - and noone is forcing you to ride a bike or an ORV. Nor are they preventing you from walking. If anyone is screaming for the "MY WAY ONLY -- ALL OR NOTHING" its the Wilderness absolutists.

• Congressman: Don't Raise National Park Entrance Fees, Offer More Recreational Opportunities   6 days 20 hours ago

"It would appear that neither you nor your passanger have been to Disneyland. The comparison is absurd."

Really?

Oh, yes. I guess it is. Yosemite costs a family something like $30 to spend a week while Dizzyland will lift a couple hundred from their pockets every day just to get through the gates. I guess the comparison is absurd after all.

Gee Gary, I thought you had me on ignore. In fact, if I remember you quit the whole blog.

And that is because they are lazy? There might not be any other reason?

"Thing is, they have the freedom to live life as they wish."

But just as we can't force our lifestyle on them, they shouldn't try to force in on us. The same goes for the ORV crowd, the mountain bike club, the wilderness seekers, the seekers of luxury accomodations, the extreme environmentalists AND the extreme anti-environmentalists.

We zone our cities to try to find balances between residential, industrial uses, businesses, parks and open spaces and other valid uses of the land. Why is trying to do the same with our national parks any different?

Why is there such a loud cry of MY WAY ONLY -- ALL OR NOTHING from so many people who are supposed to be adults?

Could it be the American Entitlement Mentality at work among the less mature or reasonable among us?

Well it's true and the statistics prove it. They rank high in obesity, poverty, and their school systems rank as some of the lowest in the country. BUT it's christian, REPUBLICAN and proud, and will someday rise again when they feel an effort to get off the couch!

Live in this region and see it for yourself. And beachdumps comments prove a lot about how he feels about government. He loves him some gubermint when the teet suckling is good, but hates it when it dries up. The NPS mission is not about supporting local communities - it's about protecting a place of natural or cultural significance. He expects the government to provide for him and his business. Such, atypical hypocrisy.

• Congressman Criticizes Cape Lookout National Seashore's Proposed ORV Plan   6 days 21 hours ago

Southeasterners are some of the laziest people on the planet

Ah, the bigotry comes out.

Thing is, they have the freedom to live life as they wish.

• Congressman: Don't Raise National Park Entrance Fees, Offer More Recreational Opportunities   6 days 21 hours ago

As if Yosemite wasn't already Disneyland National Park

Southeasterners are some of the laziest people on the planet. If they can't get there by gas, it's simply a threat on their freedom to live a life free of exercise!

• Congressman: Don't Raise National Park Entrance Fees, Offer More Recreational Opportunities   6 days 22 hours ago

At Cape Lookout they are changing the entire management plan, including ORV access. I understand the need to increase fees because through the NPS own proposed mismanagement plan, the added beauracracy will increase the costs of running the park.

There is nothing requiring the NPS to change the management plan and add all these regulations.

• Congressman Criticizes Cape Lookout National Seashore's Proposed ORV Plan   6 days 22 hours ago

This plan and one forced on CHNSRA only seem reasonable to those that have never visited. You outsiders don't understand the impact to culture, tradition and economy of the local communities. It is only a checkbox of feel good regulations to the outsiders. At CHNSRA these regulations have done nothing to protect or improve the resources. The only accomplishment of the new regulations are lower visitation, added beaurcracy, increased management costs, reduced access and hurt local economy. The OBX Group NPS has so lost their way, that they proposed eliminating beach lifegaurds in favor of interpretive rangers. This move deepened the wedge between the NPS and communities it promised to support.

• Congressman Criticizes Cape Lookout National Seashore's Proposed ORV Plan   1 week 5 hours ago

"Under the preferred alternative, ORVs would be able to travel most of Cape Lookout; the plan also would create three seasonal "pedestrian only" areas on the seashore."

The plan doesn't sound unreasonable or draconian. Certainly not worth the heavy breathing that putting comments in boldface would indicate.

• Congressman Criticizes Cape Lookout National Seashore's Proposed ORV Plan   1 week 6 hours ago

Another classic example of NPS looking for a solution where no problem exists. There have been many lessons learned but already forgotten by NPS with the same approach used at Cape Hatteras National SEashore Recreational Area as they want for Cape Lookout. The real travesty is that this seashore is closed to all access 3 months of the year when some of the best bird watching, shelling, fishing and relaxation are available anywhere on the East Coast.

NPS has systematically removed the American public for their parks across the nation using these same approach which is unwarranted and unwanted. This reduction in access to our Parks and Seashores has to stop!

• Congressman: Don't Raise National Park Entrance Fees, Offer More Recreational Opportunities   1 week 7 hours ago

As if Yosemite wasn't already Disneyland National Park (as described by a fellow passenger I overheard on an overcrowded Valley shuttle bus in August, 2011).

• UPDATED: Court Upholds National Park Service Decision To Put Recreation Above Preservation   1 week 8 hours ago

The ORV crowd doesnt want balance, they want thier way only. I see that this radical anti-wild organization isn't wise enough to realize what this decision could mean. I suspect they will continue litigation until they get thier way everywhere. Rick's wise comment regarding balance of 'whatever that means' isn't getting a chuckle everywhere.

• Op-Ed|The National Park Service And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect   1 week 8 hours ago

Zeb, I'm one of those who can no longer be hiking long distances with a full pack. It's not for me that I hope we'll have the good sense to keep wildernesses wild. When wilderness comprises something like less that 2% of our total landmass, the idea of opening everything to easy access is repugnant.

You don't like hiking. Okay. I don't care for biking. Yet it seems that you feel I and others like me should be conveniently ignored if we will be negatively impacted by your sport. Isn't there enough room in North America to provide some spaces for each of us?

Go back and read your post again. Doesn't it sound familiar?

Reminds me of my little grand daughters as they squabble over who got more ice cream in their cone. If we act like adults instead of four-year olds, we just might find that there are equitable solutions out there. All we have to do is have the wisdom to seek them without trampling one another.

NPCA doesnt want balance, they want thier way only. I see that this radical left wing organization is asking for a rehearing. I suspect they will continue litigation until they get thier way. Rick's dumb comment regarding balance of 'whatever that means' is getting a chuckle elsewhere.

• Op-Ed|The National Park Service And Wilderness: 50 Years Of Neglect   1 week 9 hours ago

Frankly, Zeb, more than your bike or my bad knees, I'm thinking of my grandkids and generations to come.