• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   6 hours 10 min ago

Cruz "expressed [his] desire" there in black-and-white. If Cruz does not intend for national parks to be included in the covered land of the affected states to be auctioned off or turned over to the states (i.e. national parks would cease to exist in these cases), why insert the (bolded) phrase? Why not adopt the exemption from the bill for the langauge of the amedment? Is there any legal analysis (or journalistic account of it) that shows the amendment would not sumit the national parks to consideration for auction or state owenership? Where is it?

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   6 hours 29 min ago

Yeah, I remember the shutdown quite well. That was the first step.

You mean the shut down the was caused because the Dems wouldn't pass a funding bill without Obamacare? Republicans were all ready to fund the entire rest of the government, including the National Parks, but the Dems held it up because it didn't fund Obamacare.

Fact is Cruz and Rand have never said they want to "kill the parks" nor done or proposed anything that would accomplish that. It certainly isn't stated or implied in the Cruz Amendment - no matter how many times it is referenced by you or anyone else.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   7 hours 5 min ago

Thanks, Lee. Here's the text of the Cruz Amendment:

SEC. 1____. FEDERAL LAND DISPOSAL. (a) Definitions.--In this section: (1) Covered land.--The term ``covered land'' means-- (A) land under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Interior; or (B) land under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Secretary of Agriculture (acting through the Chief of the Forest Service). (2) Excess covered land.--The term ``excess covered land'' means any covered land that is identified for disposal under subsection (c). (3) Secretary concerned.--The term ``Secretary concerned'' means-- (A) the Secretary of the Interior, with respect to land under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Secretary of the Interior; and (B) the Secretary of Agriculture (acting through the Chief of the Forest Service), with respect to land under the exclusive jurisdiction of the Secretary of Agriculture (acting through the Chief of the Forest Service). (b) Limit on Federal Ownership of Land.--Notwithstanding any other provision of law (including regulations), covered land shall not comprise more than 50 percent of the total land area of a State. (c) Identification of Excess Covered Land for Disposal.--If the total percentage of covered land in a State exceeds the limit established by subsection (b), the Secretaries concerned shall jointly identify covered land in the State that the Secretaries concerned determine to be appropriate for disposal under subsection (d). (d) Required Disposal.--Not later than December 31, 2019, the Secretary concerned shall dispose of all excess covered land through-- (1) transfer to the State in which the excess covered land is located; or (2) selling the excess covered land at auction. (e) Rules.--The Secretary concerned shall issue rules to carry out the transfers and sales under subsection (d).

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   7 hours 39 min ago

"we's wants it" ... "we's needs it"... "we's paid trolls for it".. It's always "us", with EC. Yeah, I remember the shutdown quite well. That was the first step.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   15 hours 15 min ago

It is no wonder Lee that you would cite articles that totally mischaracterize the legislation. Is that where you learned your strawman tactics?

Selling public land is hardly "killing the parks". In fact the Section 107 a 1 B ii specificaly Excludes lands and water managed by the National Park Service from the provisions of the Act. Were you ignorant of that fact or just thought everyone else was and lied about it?

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   18 hours 19 min ago

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   18 hours 32 min ago

Exactly, EC! Beware of falling prey to the "Narative."

There is a real world out there and folks would appreciate getting back to it.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   23 hours 10 min ago

Gary, please show us where either Cruz or Paul expressed their desire to "kill the parks"

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   23 hours 22 min ago

I think, maybe foolishly that all the monkey chatter from the likes of Ted Cruz's and Rand Paul's won't have much effect in diminishing and destroying the parks we have. They can scream that they are going to kill the parks, take aways the funding, and remove the department of the interior - and trust me they have tried, but in the end the parks are still here and they still endure. I also think my sons generation, and his sons generation will also experience places like Yellowstone, and the Tetons, and Maine Woods like they exist today. Heck, it might be a little bit wilder by then. I just read that Yosemite is reintroducing big horns. And, i'm sure the wolverines, and grey wolves will be next. The Smokies introduced elk and otters over the last decade, and the Smoky Mountain Madtoms and other fish species are on the rebound, when at one point they seemed doomed. So, we are slowly recovering from the mistakes made from the past century in our National Parks.

Many industrialized and western societies have declining birth rates. In fact, at this point, a majority of western civilization are barely at replacement rate. The Chinese and other cultures like Brazil are starting to age in their population pyramid. Japan and many countries in Europe are already in a decline, as many couples decline to have more than 1 kid. As long as we don't start popping out clones, I think the population will get smaller, and wealthier on a global basis. Granted, there are a lot of issues. We have to move beyond fossil fuels, and we have to solve the trash, and fresh water crisis's that is starting to plague even counties like the USA. I still think there will be vast wilderness areas in 100 years, and the United States will still have many National Parks. At that point, there probably will be a centralized global government (or a few factions of countries like the ever evolving EU), and many of our National Parks will be protected at a higher level than they are today. So, i'm not in great fear of the future. it will be different, but it might be better....and yes, it could be worse. But, I try not to look at it with a glass half empty approach. The National Parks are one thing i've always been optimistic about in this country. They will endure.

• Presidio Expected To Add An Additional Lodging Facility   1 day 31 min ago

Agreed, Lee. Blame those soulless fiscal fools trying to judge everything by whether or not it makes a profit. I believe the NPS is something that we should do because it is right, not because we can squeeze additional coinage out of it.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 3 hours ago

You're absolutely right, Gary. Living is dangerous to everyone's health. When Johnny Carson asked George Burns how he had lived so long, Burns replied: "I don't know. I'd ask my doctor, but he died last week."

Perfection? No one is perfect. However, as a generation, the World War II generation gets my vote. We Boomers? Spoiled brats, I agree. We went to college and took over the administration building. Boy, that sure brought the Vietnam War to an end!

Of course, I didn't get to participate. I was working my way through school--totally. Mom didn't pay a dime and couldn't. As a secretary in the Binghamton City School District, it was beyond her means even then.

But she did take my brother and me to the national parks. And it stuck. What is "sticking" among young people today? Just this morning, I heard there will be 90 million more people in this country by the year 2050. In other words, we will add to the population in just 35 years what it took this country 300 years on the first go-round (1607-1900). You think wilderness will survive that? I hope so, because yes, it will be entirely up to you.

• Ten Signature Projects In Yosemite National Park To Help Highlight National Park Service Centennial   1 day 5 hours ago

Great projects, especially these:

Restoration of the Mariposa Grove of Giant Sequoias

Meadow and River Corridor Restoration

Recovering Two Endangered Sierra Nevada Amphibians

Returning Endangered Sierra Nevada Bighorn Sheep to Yosemite’s Wilderness

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 6 hours ago

I've seeked out a lot of wilderness in my life, and I don't think large swaths are being destroyed. I'll never see it all, or explore all that there is out there. Someone could spend their lifetime just trying to make it into every drainage and mountain top in the Frank Church Wilderness.

But, I agree we should protect more. I also think outreach via the web is a crucial aspect of keeping park and wilderness protection in the minds of people, both young and old. The east coast is in need of a lot more wilderness and large scale parks. The high allegheny, maine woods, and the expansion of the congaree should be considered.

But trust me, the world is not going to stop when the last boomer is buried, nor will the protection of parks and wilderness lands.

• Presidio Expected To Add An Additional Lodging Facility   1 day 6 hours ago

Ah, just what we need. More affordable lodging for visitors to our parks.

But I guess if you can afford $100 a pop for each member of your family to visit Disneyland, you can certainly afford $375 a night for a room at the Presidio.

Shhheeeeeeesh! And we belly ache over a five dollar fee to try to help a park cover expenses of protecting the backcountry or cleaning restrooms.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 6 hours ago

I might be missing something, Gary, but I thought both Alfred and I were expressing frustration with so many Americans -- no matter what label might be applied to them -- who act like the world begins and ends with them. The Great American Entitlement Mentality.

I firmly believe that, as Thoreau said, "In wildness is the preservation of the world."

As we rapidly destroy wildness in the world, we destroy a whole lot more.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 9 hours ago

I disagree Lee. A large % of boomers act like the world begins and ends with them. It used to be funny, but after many years of hearing the same repeating rhetoric over and over and over, it just becomes mundane and boring. Most of those boomers are the ones in the souped up RV's. I've taken my 4 year old into the backcountry and backcountry camped, and I let him take his DS system. He always has a blast, and also plays the DS at night when it's "down time". Some of my friends in Idaho have raised their 1 year olds on skis, and now they are backcountry warriors at a very young age. I'm not the only one doing those activities, and my friends aren't either. Get a grip. Alfred is batting maybe a low .300, but he's not perfect, and neither are you or me.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 16 hours ago

I understand completely what Alfred is trying to say. Unfortunately, much of it is correct. It reminded of some musings I tossed into Traveler a couple of years ago that might be pertinent today.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 17 hours ago

I am grateful that the websites will be (hopefully) standardized. I hated floundering around, clicking on link after link, trying to figure out where someone saw fit to put the information I need.

I was just browsing the Mohave Preserve Site and really like the "Ranger Perspectives" section. The rest of the site hasn't yet been updated though Organ Pipe Cactus has...

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 18 hours ago

The game continues on with or without you. The same applies to us all, and I hate to break it to you, but you aren't the finality. Neither was Muir, nor Abbey, nor Leopold, nor that website, or this website, or that other website.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 18 hours ago

But I'm not "out of the game," Gary. I just know when to call it a game.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 18 hours ago

Rick, you want specifics instead of generalities? How is this for a specific? Forty percent of young people under 30 are living back home with their parents. What did "college" ever do for them? Now the Park Service. Practically every young person I have met these past several years is either seasonal or permanent, subject to furlough. Again, where are the permanent hires as naturalists and/or historians ensuring the "rich legacy" America alleges to uphold?

Blame Congress? I am over that. I blame the society that elects the Congress. If it mattered--as in really mattered--these problems would be resolved.

Thirty years ago, Nancy Reagan whispered in Ronald's ear: "Tell them we're doing the best we can." I am tired of that argument, too. Meanwhile, you can "sit at Muir's side and just listen." All you have to do is read his books. However, if you want to leave a legacy every bit "as rich," you are running out of time. Why? Because the legacy he left demanded great discipline to protect it, and that discipline has nothing to do with technology.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 18 hours ago

I doubt i've lost any "connectivity". I've done my share of "connecting" to the wilds of America, and probably have a lot more experience in that realm than most that post on here.

The problem with PA is that there is little federal land in the state. So there is no federal wilderness protection, and the "business flavor of the day" is railroaded through by state legislature's whims. It's a state rights advocates dream, and a microcosm of what happens when you have "complete state control". The state forests are wrecked by gas development, and it's a shame what has occurred there.

And Al, we all have editors and review sessions in our daily work. Come on, you sound like you've been stuck in academia for wayyyyy too long. There is this thing called the real world. I've had editors and review sessions in every job i've worked at. Granted, I don't write for a living, but I have done many other things, and review sessions and an approval process is part of every game. There are clients out there that pay the bills, scientists that want to see what you are saying has accuracy, organizations that want solid products. Come on...QUIT with the generalizations and falsehoods. The world didn't stop when you got out of the game.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 18 hours ago

C'mon, Al. You yourself would have to take a bit of red pen to your own note. Generalities much? "Society only wants what is relativant today?" All of society? Which of them 'only' want it? Relevant to who? And on. Back it on down a bit on the broad brush and the "you kids get off my lawn!" and let's find that middle grey that is most of the real world.

In your examples, you could easily enough travel with slide trays and use Army surplus topo maps and so on. You chose not to, but to grump along the way about the old days.

We can't ask Leopold, or Abbey or others their opinion on many things. It's sad. I'd pay a bucket of negotiable tender to sit at Muir's side and just listen, but those ships have sailed. It's up to us to do the best we can, with the world we have, to ensure that we leave as rich a legacy as they did.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 18 hours ago

Rock on, Mr. Runte! Could be that some are just so full of digits they have missed the loss of the beauty of connectedness, simplicity not going at warp speed. Today's politics are going so fast that factoids of reality are to be avoided. Crucial period and not just for the Parks, I believe.

• New Look Starting To Appear On National Park Websites   1 day 18 hours ago

Kurt, My favorite billboard remains "Harolds Club or Bust!" (Reno, Nevada). Before the casino closed, yes, Christine and I were "busted" more than once. Otherwise, I guess Wyoming was referring to Yellowstone, although now, as reported in The Wall Street Journal this morning, it is also known for thousands of abandoned gas wells. Guess who gets to pay for sealing those?