Reader Participation Day: What Should The National Park Service Work On Leading Up To 2016?
It's National Park Week, a time to celebrate the national parks and get out and enjoy them. But it should also be a time for you to ponder the future of the National Park System. With that in mind, what do you think the National Park Service should focus on leading up to its centennial in 2016?
There certainly are enough issues out there to consider when trying to draw up a hierarchy for the Park Service to deal with.
* A recent report says the Park Service has not lived up to its mission of explaining history in the parks, and there are concerns in some quarters that the agency is more concerned about wildlife than people.
* Some say there are too many law enforcement rangers, and not enough interpretive rangers.
* There's the question of whether more units should be added to the park system.
* Fees are an issue in some parks.
* Are there enough rangers in the parks?
The list can go on, and we hope you'll add to it. So tell us, what is the greatest issue the National Park Service should focus on during the next four years?